Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second knee replacement April 19

Thanks

Default Second knee replacement April 19

Hi All: I have been keeping up with reading all the posts but haven't posted myself in quite a while. Life has been hectic around here to say the least with lots of changes.

One of the biggest changes in my life has been the accommodation of family members into my home on a permanent basis. For those who remember, my adult son came home after his relationship broke up and set up residence in our family room. Well he is still here. Secondly, my grandson just 18 moved in after his living situation failed miserably with both parents and he took up the spare bedroom and is still trying to finish his grade 12. Less than one month ago my 14 year old granddaughter moved in also after adolescent/parent conflict situation which appears unresolvable. There went my gym room. We don't have a spare inch of space in this house left so if anyone out there is in need of a place to stay WE ARE ALL BOOKED UP !!!!

In addition: I am having my second knee replacement surgery in six months. Next Thursday is fast approaching and I would be amiss to say I am looking forward to to the experience. The first one was painful and a difficult recovery and it continues to give me problems and pain. For sure now I understand the impact that having an auto-immune disease plays on recovery of any surgical intervention. We just don't heal as quickly and the impact of wide spread inflammation certainly has played a huge role in interfering with healing, pain and recovery. I did finally get some relief from my methotrexate injections but have had to go off them now for 3 weeks awaiting my second surgery. What a difference that has made in my level of joint pain. You don't really realize how much these medications help us until you have to give them up.

My husband is in the final stages of finishing our new, renovated, expanded bathroom so I look forward to having a finished product by the time I return home from the hospital. He has done a beautiful job and all the inconvenience has been well worth it.

To everyone out there, a big hello with wishes for a wonderful spring and good health.

The beautifulbeluga..............who will be missing her water again for at least a while.

Thanks

Hey Beauty,

Well, you can always look at the bright side of your full house - LOOK AT ALL THE HELPING HANDS YOU'LL HAVE WHEN YOU GET HOME (smile). Your blessings will come ten-fold for the kindness that you have shown your family. Thank you for showing us that LOVE matters most. !!

My thoughts and prayers will be with you for a full recovery and a successful surgery (oops said it backwards...oh well). Hugs and lots of love to you. Thanks for keeping us posted. Miss you and love you lots.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

I hope the surgery goes well and you have a faster recovery than with the previous one. And think how wonderful it will be when both are done and you are finally able to go back to the water - hopefully without pain.

Thanks

Thanks Browneyedgirl: for your kind words, prayers and good wishes. I'm not sure about all the helping hands though. Teenagers aren't known for being all that helpful, God knows I love them dearly but there is a reason parents rejoice when their children grow up and leave home. I always thought my purpose in life might be to be "rich and famous", but God in his wisdom obviously has a different plan and it seems to be raising a never ending supply of children without the added benefit of lottery winnings.

How are you these days? I noticed you don't post very often as I always look forward to seeing what is up with my favourite "girl" from Seattle. I hope you have been reasonably well over the winter months and now with summer not far off you will have to bring out that "backyard pool" of yours.

Thinking of you often.................your friend beautifulbeluga

Thanks

good luck to you! they say once you have children you are never finish raising them, now that includes grands too- gotta love em!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Thanks Marycain for you well wishes, it was really nice to hear from you. I too hope this surgery is a little easier than the last. The OS assures me it won't because this knee is as damaged as the first but I continue to hope he is wrong. The one thing that is different is that at least this time I know what I am in for and what I can and can't do to help myself feel better. I think last time I was way too anxious to get off the narcotic pain medication and this time I think if I need it I won't be in such a rush. Also, first time around I think I probably overdid it returning to my water aerobics way sooner than I should have which ended up causing me more problems. I think I have learned my lesson and will use a bit more common sense this time around.

I guess you are already into the hot weather where you live and the animals are busy giving birth. How are you feeling these days? I see you post often and you are always such a support and inspiration Marycain to all those who visit this forum. I am not sure you know how appreciated you are by all of us. You really are a gift from God to all of us here. I truly wish you the very best in your life, your deserve it. It warms my heart to know there are people out there like yourself, so kind in spirit, knowledgeable and giving. ...................... Take care.

Thanks

I'll keep you in my prayers....successful surgery and recovery! You are such a kind soul to take in these children. My grandmother (long since passed on but well remembered) was always a refuge for family. She had a succession of kids in her home for many, many years. Children, grandchildren, even great-grandchildren. I was among them! She never turned anyone away, even when she was living in a little one bedroom house. And when she died, the funeral home (a very large one with several chapels) had to open them all up to hold the people who came - and there were still people lined up outside! We had no idea how many lives she had touched. You're making a difference in these young lives...never doubt it! (That doesn't make it any easier to tolerate a house full of teenagers, I'm sure! :roll: ) Anyway, good thoughts coming your way as you go through your knee replacement. May God give the doctors extra special skill that day! Bless you, Beautifulbeluga!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi BeautifulBeluga!

Good luck with your surgery and please know that you are in my prayers!

Keep well!

Thanks

Thanks again to all my well wishers and those sending up prayers on my behalf. I know God listens and I really need him in my corner. Today I went to the hospital to get my final blood work done for the match in case I need a transfusion, saw physio and met with the pre-op nurse. Everything is now done except my meeting with the anesthesiologist on Tuesday. I have been off my methotextrate now 3 weeks and my anti-inflammatories as of yesterday and boy am I ever a wreck and in major pain. I called my rheumatologists office today to see if I could get some prednisone to help with my joints and other symptoms but was told "no" because it is too close to surgery and would interfere with the bone healing. Seven days is now beginning to feel like a long way off.

Thanks

Pain is no fun at all!. What about novacane(sp?) patches for some of the more painful places? It's not a narcotic, it's not an anti inflamatory...and seems to be working very well with my mom's neuromas on her feet (and is safe for her with kidney failure). Thought I would share incase it can help you get through the next few days.

I think it's great that you opened your home to your family, but I can also understand how it feels to be soooo...*ahem*...snug! But on the upside, it's all temporary. Eventually they will all get back on their feet and want spread their wings to try to fly again....and it says volumes about you that they would want to be with you!

You sound like a gem and I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery.