Thread: Asperger's Syndrome

Thanks

Default Asperger's Syndrome

Hi!

I have just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and was wondering if there was anybody else here on the Forum who has it or who has a relative with Asperger's?

Thanks and keep well!

Thanks

My son has high-functioning autism and I have symptoms of Asperger's. I know a lot of adults that could qualify as Asperger's (mostly doctors).

Thanks

Hi CarrieKate!

Thank you very much for your response. I'm sorry to hear about your son; Autism is such a difficult and complicated thing and as yet, is so poorly understood.

Have you ever endeavoured to seek a diagnosis for yourself? The problem with Asperger's Syndrome is that it can be so mild in some people that it goes undiagnosed the person's entire life. In other cases, it is only diagnosed when the individual is an adult.

I am sixteen currently, but they suspected something like Asperger's Syndrome from when I was small. I have serious problems with Sensory Processing Disorder and I also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have a few other neurological problems, as well.

Keep well!

Thanks

At this point in my life, I don't think I need a diagnosis. I'm able to compensate enough to function. The only time I get in trouble is when I'm not feeling well (no energy to act "normal"), which seems to be happening a lot lately.

I'm hoping that eventually my son will progress to Asperger's. His major problem is communication. He talks, but doesn't always make sense and he has trouble with abstract concepts... but he's improving all the time.

The best thing to do for social stuff is take a "scientific" approach. Study people talking to each other and experiment. Be observant about how people react to what you say.

As far as sensory stuff, I have no real advise. I've just learned to live with it. Most people who notice that I stiffen up or jump when I'm touched just take it as a "quirk" and don't hold it against me.

Thanks

Hi CarrieKate!

Thanks for your response!

I'm glad to hear that your son is improving so well; I'm sure that your love, support and encouragement play a big role in his development.

I do Occupational Therapy for the S.P.D. I did it from the ages of four - ten and then I stopped, but now I've started again because I also have Fine Motor Co-Ordination problems, etc. It was a serious problem when I was small because I'm so tactile defensive. I used to refuse to wear shoes, socks, stockings, jerseys, jackets, scarfs, gloves, vests - most items of clothing, to be honest! Luckily, O.T. helped me with that. I am also auditory defensive and do not like loud sounds - I begin to groan, but am not really aware that I am doing it. I'm oral defensive as well and just can't eat certain foods/textures; this started when I was about four months old. Yet, I am Hyposensitive (under-sensitive) to movement.

Keep well!

Thanks

My son has oral issues (which is not one of my problems... unfortunately for my waistline), but he craves deep touch. This has become an issue since it's looking like he has von Willebrand's... ie: he gets lots of bruises.

I don't like anything around my neck and my husband will drive me nuts by shaking his leg too close to me. I've actually screamed at him to stop. I've never liked crowds or sudden loud noises.

FYI, have you visited the OASIS website yet? There's a lot of information on the site... just take the stuff on the message boards with a grain of salt.

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks very much! I am going to go and check the website out now!

Keep well!