Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergic Conjunctivitis (Allergic Pink Eye)

Thanks

Default Allergic Conjunctivitis (Allergic Pink Eye)

Hi!

I ended up at the doctor yesterday morning and was diagnosed with Allergic Conjunctivitis (Allergic Pink Eye). Not only was my actual eye 'infected', but I had extremely painful Dermatitis all around the corners of my right eye. I had also broken out in hives, which, to be perfectly honest, is not unusual for me, even though I take Zyrtec every night and have done so since I was six years old. I also had an Allergic Ear Infection and my ear was actually bleeding. The doctor told me that I have very thin membranes around my eyes and in my ears, etc. She gave me a special ointment for my eye, which is REALLY helping, thank goodness and the Dermatitis is almost completely gone! She also gave me something for my ear infection.

I was just wondering, has anyone else ever had Allergic Conjunctivitis? I think that mine was caused by house dust mites, which I am allergic to, but this is the first time that I have ever had an eye infection in my entire life (and I'm sixteen!).

The doctor suggested that I buy those special allergy-proof mattress covers and pillow cases, which has been suggested to me before. Has anyone else ever used these and had any success?

I have been having a few problems with my eyes lately and there are a lot of eye problems in my family (for example, my father has Glaucoma and my mother is developing Glaucoma; my mother also has Sjogren's Syndrome; my great aunt has Macular Degeneration; another great aunt had a haemmorhage in her eye; on my mother's side of the family, almost all of her aunts and uncles and her mother wear/wore glasses), plus I have Sjogren's Syndrome, so the doctor suggested that I go and see an Ophthalmologist for a check-up, as I have never been before. Can anyone tell me what to expect when I see the Ophthalmologist and what I should bring with me?

Thanks and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi :lol:
    Allergic conjunctivitis describes the eye's reaction to allergy-causing substances like pollen and dander. It usually includes redness, tearing, and itching. Allergies tend to run in families. The incidence of allergy is difficult to determine, because many different conditions are often lumped under the term allergy.
    The causes of Conjunctivitis are:
    Bacterial conjunctivitis is often caused by bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus.
    The viral type is often associated with an upper respiratory tract infection, cold, or sore throat.
    A history of close contact with a family member or any other individual with a "red eye" is also commonly elicited.
    Allergic conjunctivitis may be caused by intolerance to substances such as cosmetics, perfume, or drugs, environmental irritants such as smoke or fumes.
    Any type of conjunctivitis is aggravated by dryness of the eyes (Sjorgens).
    Conjunctivitis may be transmitted to the eye by contaminated hands, washcloths or towels, cosmetics (particularly eye makeup), false eyelashes or improper usage of contact lenses.
    When you see the opthamologist, he/she may look for the following:
    The presence of eosinophils (a type of white blood cell) in scrapings, secretions, or discharge; A positive skin test for suspected allergens;
    A pattern of small, raised bumps on the inside of the eyelids (papillary conjunctivitis).
    Treatments may include:
    Giving ophthalmic (eye) antihistamine or anti-inflammatory drops; Giving mild ophthalmic steroid preparations, directly on the surface of the eye, for severe reactions; Giving eye drops of medicine that stop mast cells (special white blood cells) from releasing histamine; these drops are given in combination with antihistamines for moderate to severe reactions.
    Perhaps someone will have more information for you about this. I hope that you get some relief soon!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thanks very much for the information!

With regard to the skin test for suspected allergens, are you referring to a Skin Prick Allergy Test? I have already had one of those done and was allergic to practically everything that I was pricked with! Infact, the lady who was doing it joked that I "must be allergic to the needle"! If I have already had one done, will the Ophthalmologist repeat it?

Thanks again and keep well!

Thanks

Hi!

Well, I woke-up with the most terrible sore throat this morning, so, back to the doctor! :x He told me that I have something called Pharyngo-Conjunctival Fever. Well, isn't that just great?! :roll:

Keep well!

Thanks

Pharyngoconjunctival fever is caused by an adenovirus - unfortunately there is nothing your doctor can do but treat the symptoms while the virus runs its course . You can expect to feel lousy for at least 72 hours , and you might develop a high fever and/or splitting headache. With your seizure history and other medical problems, you want to keep your fever down so it doesn't trigger seizures. You shouldn't take aspirin, but tylenol should be okay if you normally take it. It is contagious - you may have heard it called "pool fever" because it is often contracted in contaminated swimming pools. It's a lot more common in younger children - but you might be getting it because your immune system isn't up to par. I'm sorry - this is like the last thing you needed, but the conjunctivitis might be related to this rather than allergy. If so, it should go away when the virus runs its course. Take care of yourself!

Thanks

Default Ditto on Conjunctivitis

I have Lupus SLE, I know exactly how you feel....woke up Saturday morning with a nasty cough, bad sore throat and sinus junk...then that afternoon my eyes were oozing nasty stuff and red inside and on lid and of course high fever...going to the doctor today. This is the fifth time...for me on my eyes. Mary thanks for the info on Pharyngo Conjunctival Fever....I will ask my doctor about it. I Love History...I hope you get to feeling better God Bless you, Dawn

Thanks

Hi!

Marycain: Thank you VERY much for the information! I had never heard of this before!

Yes, I have been taking Tylenol to bring the fever down, but still feel pretty "yuck" and run down.

Thanks and keep well!

MsDawnie44: Thank you for the kind words. I'm really sorry to hear that you are also not well, but will pray that you get better soon! Please let us know what your doctor says.

Thanks and keep well!

Thanks

Default I Love History

Thank you so much ...I will also pray for you...and definately let you know what the doc says..............Just want to feel better. Off to the doctor now...you all have a great day and GOD BLESS

Thanks

Hi!

MsDawnie44: It's only a pleasure! Thank you very much!

Keep well!

Thanks

Not sure if this will be much help or not.

Almost a year ago i started having symtoms of conjunctivits, firstly i was told it was conjunctivitis and about a week after being on eye drops things werent getting any better so back to the doctor, this time was told its an allergy have these eye drops things should clear in a week, things got worse in that week, much worse i could barely open my eyes they were dry and itchy and had gunk coming out of them, i couldnt go outside as it would sting like crazy, so back to the doctor, this time we tested for any kind of allergy we could think of and infection and he sent me to an opthomologist, he was a bit of a tool and he sent me on to a lady who specalises in research of inflamatory disorders of the eye. This lady is an angel the first doctor i had seen in this whole year that has been able to give me answers, turns out i have a condition called blepheritis, its where your body doesnt produce enough oils, causing symtoms of conjunctivitis, i am on prednisolone minms eye drops and fish oil tablets.

I was told this condition can be caused by inflamatory and immune problems.

I hope both of you find answers soon, and i hope this helps a little.