Thread: Been gone for awhile...back with new questions

Thanks

Default Been gone for awhile...back with new questions

Hello all. Still have yet to get an official diagnosis and my symptoms keep mounting by the day. I had a lumbur puncture done this past Thursday and am still suffering from the afterpath headache. PCP thinks I may have MS now...I still feel like I more closely identify with all of you and your stories. I do have a couple of questions...Firstly, how is CNS lupus diagnosed? I do have seizures and migraines and MRI's, CT's, and EEG's are normal. Also, what are the beginning symptoms of kidney/bladder involvement? And what tests are done to diagnose those types of problems? As always, any help is greatly appreaciated.

Trish

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Triciaf;
    The main symptoms of CNS lupus are generalized seizures, psychosis (diffuse) or stroke, peripheral neuropathies (focal). The pathology of CNS lupus often begins with vasculitis (inflammation of the brain), infarcts (tissue death due to failure of blood supply) and/or hemorrhages.
    Diagnosis usually involves EEG, CT, and CSF, as well as the finding of serum DNA antibody. The role of autoantibodies in the pathogenesis of CNS lupus and/or as markers for CNS involvement in Lupus is considered an important area of review when trying to diagnose.
    Nervous system manifestations are present in up to 70% of patients with SLE. Those with CNS involvement can vary from severe, life-threatening symptoms, such as transverse myelitis or stroke; to those with more subtle and subclinical abnormalities in neurocognitive function, such as memory problems, intellect and learning. As with diagnosing Lupus, the problem is that there is no set diagnostic criteria.
    Before your doctor can begin a specific therapy for CNS lupus, he must first make an accurate diagnosis and establish whether the CNS is primary to your SLE or secondary to another condition which you may have and which frequently occurs in SLE patients. Therefore, the identiŽfication and treatment of infection, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, metabolic derangement and toxic effects of treatments must be considered and also the fact that immunosuppressive therapy may also be associated with several opportunistic infections of the brain and be the primary cause for CNS involvement. All of these considerations make diagnosis extremely difŽficult. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis, brain imaging and serological studies, including the C-reactive protein level, are used when considering infection or haemorrhage, especially when fever is present.
    I hope this didn't just confuse you more
    :?
    Let us know if you need further information!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Trish, unfortunately kidney and bladder involvement often don't any noticeable symptoms at first, which is why it's important to have regular lab tests to monitor your kidney function. But some signs of kidney involvement might include worsening fatigue, unexplained nausea, dark or tea-colored urine, urine that is foamy or frothy in an appearance, and swelling or puffiness in the feets and ankles or around the eyes (especially in the morning), So if you are having any of those symptoms, you might want to discuss it with your doctor.