Thread: Paypal - Fraud e-mail warning

Thanks

Default Paypal - Fraud e-mail warning

If you guys do any shopping online and pay using paypal, be aware there is a "phishing" scam going on where people are being sent e-mails claiming to come from paypal, saying there has been unusual activity on your account. I got one of these e-mails this morning. The e-mails instruct the person to click on a link to verify their Paypal account, otherwise the account may be closed or suspended. But if you clink on the link you are installing a cookie that gives the sender access to your paypal account. A real e-mail from paypal will always be addressed to you by name, not e-mail address, and it will tell you to go to the paypal website to access your account, not click on a link. I've had a couple of friends get burned by these fake e-mails - just wanted to make sure you guys were aware of them.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

As usual, Marycain, thank you for the heads up! I never really used Paypal, but this is scary because they always claim to be the safest way to pay for on-line purchases. :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Since we live in such a rural area, I shop online a lot rather than drive an hour to get to a mall or a wal-mart, and I use paypal when possible to avoid using credit cards online. I'm just hyper-paranoid about e-mails so when I got this one I called paypal to ask about it. And then I went to my account and changed my password and security options, so hopefully it will be okay. I've already had to replace one ATM card this year because our utility provider's records were hacked and they got account info on everyone who paid their bills on an automatic payment set up, so I don't pay any bills through automatic deduction any more.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Eww!! I do almost everything on automatic deduction! That is scary also. I was told that it is safer to have automatic deduction from your bank to the creditor as opposed to your creditor having you bank information and making automatic withdrawals. I may change and go that route instead!! :lol:

Saysusie