Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should/can i have my daughter tested for lupus?

Thanks

Default should/can i have my daughter tested for lupus?

hi gang!
    my ladybug is just turned 5 yrs old. what do you think? is it possible? i keep forgetting to ask my rheumie..... foggy brain :lol:

be well

Thanks

Unless she is showing symptoms, it might be a little early to worry about it. If she had been born with neonatal lupus, you would have known about it shortly after birth. And most of the statistics say the chances of a daughter having lupus are about 10% if the mother has it too. The chances are higher that your daughter will have a positive ANA because she has a first-generation relative with lupus. But as you know, having a positive ANA doesn't mean that you necessarily have lupus, or will ever develop it. And if the ANA test was positive, you might find yourself worrying all the time that she does have it, or is going to have it - I think that kind of worry would be bad for both of you. Until the screening and testing develop a lot more than they are right now - there is no screening test that is specific for lupus in the absence of symptoms. So realistically all you can do is test for antibodies, which may not be significant in the absence of symptoms. Definitely talk to her pediatrician about it - but unless she is having problems that cause you concern, I would wait until she is closer to puberty.

Thanks

and again marycain, thanks so much! it's just that ive been so sick, and she has eczema that we are trying to get under control, and at times when i get a little crazy with worry and guilt, i start halucinating and think i'm seeing DLE :lol: ! we think it's more food related, so we've been doing food elimination, and so far, we know peanut better and citrus fruit are culprits. we're currently working on pasta/breads....

hope so much that yr having a great day!

Thanks

Poor baby - I know that is miserable. Have you found a moisturizer that seems to work for her? None of my sons have it but my littlest niece does - using an olive oil soap and moisturizer right afterward seems to help her. And unbleached cotton or bamboo sheets and blankets - nothing dyed. It's hard to find laundry detergents that didn't make her make her itchy - my brother findly ended up getting some of those detergent free ionic cleaning discs and those seemed to work. But they had to find a pediatric dermatologist to really get Michaela's under control - the regular pediatrician didn't have much to offer beyond steroid creams.

Thanks

yeah, sometimes its all we can do to keep her from scatching herself raw :!: we use Kiel's, which i started using for myself because of the lupus, then they came out with a kids line, and it's all natural, allergy free, and some of the products are soap free too, i think. any way, it's moving to her eyelids i use a 'baby eczema' cream by orajel, you can find it in Target in the baby section. but the Kiel's along with vegtable soaps seems to work best. we just need to be a bit more agressive about her diet, meaning is it wheat, is it gluten. .... althous she doesn't do milk. just soy products right now. i also think she has allergies. whenever the weather changes abrubtly, which is often here in beautiful, downtown, hercules :!: (the hight today was 52, a week ago it was around 80!!), she's starts acting like she go to get a cold-sneezing, coughing, sore throat, runny nose, but no fever, and she's still bouncing around! oh, and this is the otehr main reason why i was thinking about testing her- she gets this cough at night that's just awful, and so bad sometimes that she's not getting any sleep, and the otc cough meds do absolutely nothing. thats how my lupus first got going, and when i have a flare involving my lungs. its the same cough.

ok, well, ladybug is begging me to dance with her while watching 'dancing with the stars'! we dont watch much tv, but she really likes that show! gotta go!

be well friend

Thanks

I thought I would share something that I worked out when my eldest son was a baby, with exczma.
    When you bathe her, put some salt and bi-carbonate of soda in the water.
    I have no idea as to why the salt works so well, but also found that if we took Tony to the beach, it helped him no end.
    The Carb Soda helps to reduce the itch and is an old treatment that was used by my Grandparents , who were pioneers into the bush in Australia.
    I might add, that Tony, now 43, still has this problem and still used the Bi carb.

Thanks

Kids with eczema are a lot more prone to both allergies and asthma, and that nightime cough sounds a lot like asthma - I have it and a couple of our kids do too - and it started with the nighttime cough. So you might want to ask her doctor about it.

Thanks

Default soy and eczema??

thanks you two! i just saw on a local show here about children and soy milk/formula. ladybug is/was intolerant of regular milk, as was i, so when she weaned herself from nursing at aout a year old (thank goodness i was able to pump for another year or more and freeze it, so she was able to have breast milk til she was a little over two years old), we gave her soy and rice milk instead. she's 5 now, and pretty much drinks soy milk only and i mix it with regular (lactaid) lowfat milk. well now there are several studies out that say it's not good at all for babies (formula) or young children, both boys and girls. saying that there is a significant increase in asthma, eczema and the more serious things like nnot going thru peuberty for boys, and early onset of it in girls, along with breast cancer and thyroid disease (because of the estrogen hormones in soy). many foreign governments (france is one) are starting to put warning labels on all soy products. that's scary for me as ladybug drinks about 12 oz of soy milk aday.

but then again, ther are studies that contadict so much of what they had been saying for years thats bad for you!!???!??.... but still something to think about!

be well friends [/code]

Thanks

My kids like rice milk, so they use that for their cereal. You might see if you can gradually switch her over to rice milk, or even wean her off milk altogether and use other things to get her calcium quota, like calcium-fortified juice.

Thanks

thats a good idea marycain, thanks