Thread: mourning licorice

Thanks

Default mourning licorice

I know very odd ot say but I just found out I can't eat licorice anymore. Some of its lesser known medicinal purposes include activating cortisol and increasing blood pressure which is the oppposite of what my body needs right now.
    I love licorice and am sad to see it go. I felt the need to share my mourning and hear if any one else had some loss food woes to share. (I've also been advised to restrict my sugar intake in general by both my nephrologists and my dentists so I am quite sad at the moment.)

Thanks

Do you like sugar-free jelly beans? Most of the "licorice" flavored candy made in the United States is actually flavored with anise, so unlike the real licorice "string" candy, it doesn't affect your blood pressure. (Candy made in the UK uses the real thing) But anise does taste like licorice - so maybe you could have it as a treat once in a while. Just be sure it's flavored with anise and isn't the true licorice. Candy flavored with anise will list anise or anethole as the flavoring ingredient. I get the sugar-free anise drops and they taste pretty much like the licorice drops.

You may also want to check when you buy OTC cough syrups, and some herbal products that use a licorice extract as a flavoring. It probably won't be called licorice, but if you see Glycyrrhizic acid listed as an ingredient, that means it has licorice in it.

The thing I hated to give up most was potatoes - I love them any way they are fixed. But on a renal diet all that potassium is a no-no. I've tried turnips and cauliflower as alternatives, but it's just not the same thing.

Thanks

I just posted something similar in another forum. I hated giving up potatoes (havent fully but trying). Sugar is something I've given up altogether because it triggers flares for me. It makes me feel flu-like. I posted in the other forum asking which foods trigger flares for everyone else. Night shade vegetables (white potatoes, green peppers, tomaotes), sugar, dairy, and a few other things are supposed to trigger flares. This changes I'm sure depending on the person.

Aspartame causes flu-like symptoms for me so the sugar free stuff I don't eat. I do have splenda. I haven't noticed flares with it.

Thanks

I feel the same way!!! And don't you think the foods you can't have sound do much better now than they ever did before? So unfair!

Good to know about the licorice, though. I have used anise, but wondered if it caused the same problems.......I think now that my Lupus seems to be under control that I can have a bit of licorice every once in a while.
    Missy