Thread: Fibremyalgia

Thanks

Default Fibremyalgia

I have not been diagnosed with Lupus but have known I have it for years now. One doctor said my tests showed I had the antibodies but she was not ready to call it Lupus. Now I have developed what I believe is Fibremyalgia. So tired and week continually even though I seem to sleep all night and have bone and muscle pain. Has anyone else had these symptoms?

Thanks

Hi ~ I'm a newbie as well so I'm sure I won't be much help. I have a friend who was diagnosed with fibramyalgia. She has sharp pains in various areas all throughout her body including weakness. I'm just wondering why your doctor ruled out lupus if you have ANA? Do you have any other characteristics symptomatic of lupus?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi,
    I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. The symptoms of both are so similar that it is sometimes difficult to discern which pain is from what. Fibromyalgia is a common accompaniment of lupus. Because the symptoms are so similar, what often happens is: (a) Fibromyalgia in a lupus patient may be missed or denied, and (b) fibromyalgia may be misdiagnosed as lupus. Lupus patients with fibromyalgia are much more likely to have the following symptoms compared to lupus patients without fibromyalgia: widespread pain, myalgias (sore muscles), non-restorative or recuperative sleep, depression, abdominal pain/bloating, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, dysmenorrhea and sensitivity to light and noise.
    Fibromyalgia means pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons – the soft fibrous tissues in the body. Sometimes fibromyalgia symptoms include muscle twitches and burning sensations. But, these symptoms can also occur with Lupus.
    Having fibromyalgia with lupus makes a diagnoses of either much more difficult. Especially when trying to differentiate your symptoms and apply treatments. Fibromyalgia is more than just a muscle pain syndrome, as most of us have many other symptoms. We all have severe fatigue, poor sleep, and pain after even mild exertion.
    Other symptoms include: tension type headaches, cold intolerance, sicca symptoms, unexplained bruising, fluid retention, chest pain, jaw pain, dyspnea, dizziness, abdominal pain, paresthesiae, low grade depression and anxiety, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine, premenstrual syndrome, Raynaud’s, female urethral syndrome, and restless leg syndrome. The restless leg syndrome, which occurs in about 60% of fibromyalgia patients, has prominent symptoms of paresthesiae that may easily be mistaken for a neurological problem.
    I say all of this to say that it is quite possible that you could have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. The results of your tests could indicate both and it is sometimes difficult to differentiate the results. But, there are some clinical differences in fibromyalgia that your doctors should look for before making that diagnoses. However, since the symptoms are so similar, it is not possible to say if you do or do not have Fibromyalgia until these tests are done.
    I hope this was helpful...Or did I just confuse you more?? :roll:
    Let me know
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie