Thread: Strange Sensations in my Chest!

Thanks

Default Strange Sensations in my Chest!

Hi!

Recently, I have begun to experience the strangest sensations in my chest area. After eating, drinking or coughing, my chest area suddenly turns ice-cold for approximately five-fifteen minutes. It is the most awful and unbearable sensation! Sometimes, it is painful as well. Two days ago, the feeling suddenly spread into my abdominal cavity as well and then into my back (around the lung area, strangely enough). A few minutes ago, I scratched my neck and the same thing happened in my neck for about three minutes!

I do have Asthma and Raynaud's, but whoever heard of those causing something like this?! :? :shock:

I mentioned the chest part to my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist (I am sixteen years old) yesterday and he thought that perhaps it was some type of gastric reflux, but I don't suffer from heartburn at all and never have. My father has G.E.R.D. (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) though. I cannot take antacids because of my Anti-Epileptic Drugs, but my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist suggested something which is safe with my A.E.D.s if taken a long time before or a long time after my A.E.D.s. He suggested that I try it.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this could possibly be?!

Thanks and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I often experience chest pain after drinking fluids. I do not have a burning sensation and neither do I ever have reflux. But, it feels as if my chest tightens up and sometimes, just drinking water can be painful! Like you, I'd like to know what it is.
    I researched the sensantion of cold after eating and drinking and, like your doctor, came up with only GERD or Acid Reflux. Maybe someone else will have more infomation that can help both of us :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thanks; I'm happy to know that I am not alone nor insane! :lol:

I hope that someone will have an answer for us too! :lol:

Keep well!

Thanks

If you have Reynauds, you may also be more prone to esophageal spasms - the two seem to go together a lot. Drinking, coughing, yawning, anything that irritates your esophagus can cause those spasms if you are prone to them. There is also a wonderful little thing called the sphincter of Oddi, located where the pancreatic duct, bile duct and duodenum come together. The sphincter of Oddi, for reasons no one really can explain, sometimes goes haywire and can cause very strange sesnsations in your chest, and sometimes your back, because it is very close to a bundle of nerves and irritating them can cause referred pain. This is called sphincter of Oddi dysfunction - however, many GPs have never heard of it. I know you are pretty good at research, so you might want to look at both of these and see if either might explain your symptoms.

Thanks

Hi Marycain!

Thank you very much for the information! I will go and check it out now!

Keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanx Marycain...I do, in fact, have Raynaud's. I never connected it to my difficulty in swallowing. You'd think with the amount of research that I do, that I might research some of my own issues huh? :lol:
    However, I am taking your advice and am going to research it. I will let you both know what I found out!!
    :lol:

Saysusie