Thread: Always FREEZING cold!

Thanks

Default Always FREEZING cold!

Hi!

I am having the most TERRIBLE problems with cold at the moment and have been for a few months now! I am ALWAYS freezing, no matter what the temperature is! Until the temperature increases over 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees Fahrenheit, I will ALWAYS wear THREE jerseys! The other day, it was 42 degrees Celsius/107.6 degrees Fahrenheit and I was wearing a jersey!

My body physically shivers and my teeth actually chatter, even though it is not actually cold outside?! I do have Raynaud's, but that doesn't affect the whole body, it only affects the extremities (in my case: fingers, toes, nose, ears and lips). My upper lip is permanently gray from cold and my hands are always so cold that people scream when I touch them!

My thyroid works perfectly, so there are no problems there. My doctors have absolutely no clue what is causing this. I would describe the freezing sensations as if my blood had, quite literally, "run cold". My main doctor says that, apart from the Raynaud's, my circulation is fine, but I'm not so sure about that...

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this please?

Thanks and keep well!

Thanks

Hi Hon,
    Yep, me too! I get bought of this from time to time... usually monthly, a couple weeks before my period and the week during. Unlike you I do have a thyroid problem [Hashimotos, sp?], I also have Raynauds... But I really don't know what role either of that plays with it.

I have had days where it is 115 outside and the house was a warm 78.... But, I would be blue, shivering and wrapped up in a electric blanket set on high.... And my hands, feet, nose etc... would just refuse to warm up, even after a rather warm bath.

I usually get very tired during these episodes... Really fatigued... I literally fall asleep... sitting in a chair, standing, while talking to someone, I get so tired that I get dizzy, sick to my stomach and just have to lie down. Lie down or fall down. When I do it could be 2-4 hours before I awake and when I do wake up I'm usually warm again... For awhile at least.

I began taking my blood pressure when I begin to 'freeze up' and I have noticed that my blood pressure is ussually very, very low during those times.

What causes it? I'm not sure, [even the dr.'s shrug] but I have noticed that hormones might play a bit of a roll in it, but not sure how.

That probably didn't help ya much... But at least you know that you are not alone! Even as I try to type now my fingers are purple and my toes are stinging cold. I guess we are all members of the cold hands, warm hearts club. (((Hugs)))

[/i]

Thanks

Hi Kittyjo!

Thanks SO much for your reply!

I also suffer from very, very low blood pressure; perhaps that plays a part in it? :?:

I also have TERRIBLE problems with fatigue; maybe the temperature problems are linked to this? :?:

Your thyroid problems are most likely what is causing you to be so cold. The thyroid is the part of your body which controls your body temperature, so when you have a thyroid problem, you will often have problems with temperature regulation.

Keep well!

Thanks

When I get intensely cold, it usually means my blood count is low. So I will usually have it checked and more often than not I am anemic.

Thanks

Hi Marycain!

Thanks very much for the information; I never thought of that. I am extremely pale and have been suffering from severe fatigue for a long time now, but everytime they test my blood, I am not anaemic, even though everyone thinks that I am because of the way I look.

My mother suffered from Anaemia and Hypoglycaemia when she was young and I find that doctors just don't seem to test one's blood sugar! I honestly feel that Hypoglycaemia is something that should be checked out because I suffer from so many of the symptoms, e.g. shakiness, dizziness, feeling light-headed, fatigue, feeling weak, heart palpitations, etc., which often occur with me feeling hungry. Also, I have recently developed a problem where I keep seeing pink/white sash-like stripes across my field of vision, which occurs in conjunction with me feeling light-headed and dizzy. The other day, this occurred before I had a seizure and was still there afterwards and my friends told me that I looked violently ill before the seizure. This also happened a few days ago immediately after I had woken up and climbed out of bed, so I'm wondering...

Also, I seem to be having serious problems with not absorbing nutrients from my food at the moment, so who knows?

Keep well!

Thanks

Do you have a blood glucose monitor to test your blood sugar when you are feeling "wonky"? The little monitors available now are easy to use and your mom could prick your finger for you if you are uncomfortable doing it. You can purhase them without a doctor's pescription here in the US. That way you could keep a log of your blood sugar readings to discuss with your doctor.

Thanks

Hi Marycain!

Thanks for the advice! That's a really good idea!

You can buy them here without a prescription too; infact, most large pharmacies sell them. My mother is Insulin Resistant and it looks like she is heading towards Diabetes, so she will most likely need one soon anyway.

Interestingly enough, I have NEVER had my Insulin tested, which I think is ridiculous! Especially since I urinate excessively (although I do have Interstitial Cystitis), am always very thirsty, have "tingling" nerve problems, strange dry skin-type rashes, blurred vision sometimes, etc. Oh well!

Keep well!

Thanks

Apparently the filter system on the board thought I had used a bad word and substituted a phrase for it - weird!

Thanks

Hi Marycain!

Yes, I have noticed that it does that myself. It sees the word p*r*i*c*k* as being "bad", so it seems to substitute *Poke with a Needle*! :lol:

Keep well!

Thanks

Hi!

My mother was looking at her Neuropsychology textbook the other day and read about how the Hypothalamus helps to regulate body temperature. If my thyroid is working perfectly, do you think there is a chance that I may have a problem with my Hypothalamus, i.e. it's not regulating my body temperature correctly? Do you know if it is possible to have the function of your Hypothalamus tested?

Thanks and keep well!