Thread: Orencia - new drug

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Orencia - new drug

Hi Everyone-
    Has anyone tried Orencia (abatacept)? Its approved for RA and being tested for Lupus. My dr. is considering it for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Its a biologics (rituxan type drug).....
    thanks alot,
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi KKelly; Here is what I found out about Orencia (Abatacept). Orencia (generic: abatacept) is the first T-cell co-stimulation modulator approved for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It is a fully human soluble fusion protein that works by selectively modulating a co-stimulatory signal which is required for full T-cell activation. Activated T cells play a central role in the inflammatory process leading to the joint inflammation. The cytokines secreted by activated T cells are thought to both initiate and propagate the immunologically driven inflammation associated with RA.
    In patients with Lupus, the immune system attacks and destroys normal tissue in and around the joints, causing pain, inflammation and damage to bone and cartilage. T-lymphocytes are important cells of the immune system. Patients with SLE and Arthritis have increased numbers of T-lymphocytes within the joints that are inflamed. The T-lymphocytes are “activated,” that is, they multiply and release chemicals that promote the destruction of tissues surrounding the joints.
    Abatacept acts like an antibody and attaches to a protein on the surface of T-lymphocytes. By attaching to the protein, abatacept prevents the activation of the T-lymphocytes and blocks both the production of new T-lymphocytes and the production of the chemicals that destroy tissue and cause the symptoms and signs of Lupus and Arthritis. Abatacept slows the damage to bones and cartilage and relieves the symptoms.
    Abatacept was approved by the FDA in December, 2005. (Abatacept) Orencia is a 30-minute intravenous infusion.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

thanks Saysusie
    I will let everyone know how it works for me if I proceed with it....
    Karen