Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remission

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Remission

What does it mean when you are on remission? Does that mean your total off the meds?

Thanks

hi there! that's a great questoins of which i don't have the answer to. there are much more experienced friends here that im sure wiill know. however, i do think that remission may mean diffent things for differnt people. :?:

be well and come back soon

Thanks

Hello,
    I recently attended a day hospital program for lupus and I understood that remission is when you are taking proper meds to keep your symptoms under control. It doesn't really go away- it is just controlled.
    Hope that helps!

Thanks

thanks so much! i guess because lupus affects everyone so differenly, that thre isnt a textbook definiiton for us....

be well

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Remission, like Lupus itself, means something different for each of us. I've been told that remission means that we are able to manage the disease without a lot of medications or without having to increase/change our medications. It does not mean that the disease has gone away, it just means that the flares are more easily managed.
    I have also been told that when our disease activity becomes lessened, that we can be downgraded to "Mild Lupus" which can also be seen as a form of remission.
    So, it depends greatly upon our disease activity, how we manage it and manage our flares and how we manage our medications!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I think this is such a complicated matter. In other diseases, like cancer, when you are in "remission", you don't have it anymore. So, I hate to use that word, because every day is up and down with Lupus. If I were king of the medical world, I would only use that word, when no active disease could be detected for a long period of time (say a year) and without medications. That would make it comparable to how we use it for other diseases.

My 2 cents.....
    Missy

Thanks

Missy, you make a good point. When I speak of "remission" to those who don't have lupus, they immediately correlate it to remission as it's understood in the case of cancer. They don't quite 'get' that lupus frequently comes and goes many times over a lifetime. It's really misleading. There are people who go into 'remission' and the disease never again rears it's ugly head...now THAT'S a remission I could live with! :lol:
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Totally..........
    Missy

Thanks

Hopefully I will soon be in remission (ANA numbers and other tests are looking better all the time.) I only have to take 5 mg of Prednisone every other day now, and doc has reduced my methotrexate to 5 mg every week. I still take Plaquenil as well. These dosages I can deal with.
    As I understand it, we will still take moderate medication, will have to be vigilant in proper diet, rest, and staying out of the sun, and will have to watch our "symptoms" carefully. But hey, we will feel good and be abe to live normal lives. Yes, the lupus flareups can and possibly will return, but we will have a lengthy respite from the disease.
    I can't wait!!! Love, Kathy

Thanks

Lupus if different for everyone, but if it gives anyone here some hope, total remission, I believe, is possible. My lupus was totally absent for 10 years between when i was 8 and 18. I just NOW am experiencing a second flare (not pleasant.) My grandma only had one bad flare in her life and managed to quell her lupus untill her death of cancer when she was pretty old. I just hope I'm as lucky as her as to not have to constantly battle with lupus symptoms. Right now I'm having a kinda rough time, but to know that there is a possibility of a break really helps me to get through it. So yes- remission exists.