Thread: flu shots?

Thanks

Default flu shots?

WAS DIAGNOSED ABOUT 3 YRS AGO.33/F/NY.MAJOR SYMPYOMS ARE FATIGUE AND JOINT PAIN.STARTING TO HAVE IBS (I THINK) :MY QUESTION...SHOULD LUPUS PTS GET FLU SHOT/ AND CAN I DONATE BLOOD?OH ONE MORE HOW ABOUT TANNING BEDS ?

Thanks

Hello

I was told by my rheumie that a flu shot is a must. But it will bring on a flare up. Not recomanded to donate blood. And tanning beds are also a no no cause us to make lupus cells. Any uv light causes this even florescent light is harmful

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

That is so funny.....I was told by my Rheumatologist that flu shots are an absolute "NO-NO" :lol:
    His rationale was, "with an already compromised immune system, the flu shot will bring about a flare and cause a viral infection which may lead to hospitalization!!"
    Go figure! I guess it depends on the severity of your Lupus and your doctor!! :lol:
    Since Lupus is a chronic disease, you cannot donate blood! Tanning usually uses ultra-violet light...another "no-no"
    Try some of the tanning gels or lotions - be careful about their ingredients!
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default flu shots

i heard that a "dead virus" flu shot (the normal injectable kind) is ok for us but not the "live virus" (which includes the new inhalable kind of flu shot). good luck!
    wishing health and strength to all

Thanks

Yes the new nasal flu mist is live and no we should not take it

Thanks

That was the info I got also. I did ask the same question to the lupus foundation about a year ago and they said the same thing. That the injectable was dead. And that it would cause a flare up. But if we got the true flu that we were being given a shot for it would be very difficult to fight it. Due to the immunosuppression or us not having the ability to fight it off.
    The only thing I can say is this disease has many of choices of treatment. ANd we must find a good rheumie and follow their advice each person is different. And research research research everything. And that proves this board helps us fight it as one.

Thanks

Out here in No. CA, my Rheumi also told me "no" on flu shots. Same reason: compromised immune system :?
    ~*Denise*~

Thanks

Hello,

I have been told by 3 of my docs including my Rheumatologist that we should get the shot - not the mist, but definitely the shot. The flu that you could get without it is much tougher on your body then the flu shot is. I have been getting the shot for at least 4 years and it has really helped keep me out of the hospital! That's for sure... Each doc is different but I personally find it helpful. It has never given me a flare, but that's just me. At times I feel I am one big flare - so hey...

Thanks

I can really relate to your situation. I took the flu shot for the first time this year and so far no flu. My doctor insisted that I take it. But everyone please still be careful because there are several kinds of flus out there that the shot does not protect you from. Good Wishes For Everyone!