Thread: Enbril - newer drug

Thanks

Default Enbril - newer drug

I am about to begin a newer drug called Enbril. Has anyone used this? If so, I would appreciate any comments, pros & cons.

This year has been a bumpy one. I wish all a happy holiday season and new year filled with good health.
    Miller in Hollister, CA

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Gwen;
    I have heard of Enbrel being used for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do not know any Lupus patients (besides you) who are using it. Here is what I've found out about the drug:
    The body produces the tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which is a type of cytokine in the inflammatory process, as a means of defense against various diseases. However, doctors believe that RA (and Crohn's disease) are caused by the TNF. Enbrel inhibits TNF production by binding to the TNF cell receptors and blocking interaction.
    Unfortunately, Enbrel's qualities of inhibiting TNF causes the body to lose its immunity against other diseases and allows the side effects to arise (which can cause life-threatening and even fatal outcomes).
    Some of the diseases that the drug has been reported to allow are:
    1. Lymphoma and other cancers
    2. TB (especially extra-pulmonary and miliary TB)
    3. Opportunistic infections (histoplasmosis, listerosis, cocidiomycosis, pneumocystosis) which can sometimes manifest as life threatening sepsis and abscesses.
    4. MS, optical neuritis, and other neurological diseases
    5. Aplastic anemia
    6. Serum sickness (a delayed hypersensitivity reaction which can be very serious and includes rashes.
    7. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    I am very surprised that this drug would be used for SLE patients, especially since it has been reported to allow the disease to activate!!
    Has your doctor talked to you about the warnings and serious side effects for this drug? If not, I would discuss it with him/her at length to make sure that it is appropriate for use for SLE patients!
    Keep us posted!
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Enbrel

Gwen, I have some input on this medication. My mom had Lupus and was given Enrel in combination w/Chemo. 6 weeks into using the Enbrel I found my mom in septic shock. Please, please get a second opinion on this. I am not writing this in any attempt to scare you, just an attempt to make sure this does not continue to happen.

Good luck with everything.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just an Update:
    I did some research on TNF blockers for another question and found that doctor's are now prescribing Enbrel for lupus patients...with warnings!!

Saysusie

Thanks

Etanercept (Enbrel)
    This is a fusion protein. This is a TNF-alpha receptor fused onto human IgG. It acts by inhibiting TNF-alpha activity.

It is used for rheumatoid arthritis,juvenile rheumatoid arthritis as well as psoriatic arthritis. This shows good activity against psoriatic arthritis with eighty-seven percent of patients in one study showing significant improvement compared to twenty-three percent in the placebo group. In patients with skin psoriasis about one quarter showed seventy-five percent improvement in their PASI scores.
    Dosage
    Etanercept is given as a 25 mg twice weekly dose injected subcutaneously at home. This drug should be avoided in patients with a history of multiple sclerosis.
    Side Effects
    The common side effect is at the site of injection. These reactions are usually mild to moderate and diminish in frequency after the first month of treatment. Redness, itching, pain and swelling were described. There is a slight increase in the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections. It should not be used in those with congestive heart disease. There is a risk of re-activating tuberculosis so therefore it is avoided in individuals with positive tuberculin skin tests. There is a small series of patients who have developed signs of drug induced systemic lupus. It is possible that this drug may unmask multiple sclerosis.
    Drug Interactions
    This drug has been used in combination with both cyclosporine and methotrexate.
    www.psoriasisguide.ca

Thanks

Default attention SAYSUSIE

have you heard about Lyrica for lupus or neurontin???? if so could you tell me about it. thanks greeneyes58

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is some information that I found about both drugs:

Neurontin has two uses. First, it may be prescribed with other medications to treat partial seizures (the type in which symptoms are limited). It can be used whether or not the seizures eventually become general and result in loss of consciousness.
    Second, it can be used to relieve the burning nerve pain that sometimes persists for months or even years after an attack of shingles (herpes zoster). Some physicians choose the drug Neurontin for their fibromyalgia patients due to the fact they believe Neurontin may reduce restless leg syndrome common in people with fibromyalgia. Neurontin also appears to have an effect on slow wave sleep, and patients with fibromyalgia tend not to enjoy enough of the deepest, beta brain level of sleep activity, which leads to sleep deprivation and a feeling of restlessness.
    The generic name for Neurontin is Gabapentin. Since the drug works to block pain receptors and nerve ending in the brain and throughout the body, many physicians opt for Neurontin for their fibromyalgia patients. While your doctor may prescribe Neurontin for your fibromyalgia condition, be warned Neurontin has been known to cause suicidal tendency and psychotic mania in some people including those with fibromyalgia. If you are taking Neurontin for your fibromyalgia condition, you may experience a loss of appetite. Also, you may feel less sensation during sex while using Neurontin.
    Some of the other potential Neurontin side effects for people with fibromyalgia include headache, sleepiness, nausea and dizziness. Viral infections, convulsions, vomiting/diarrhea and memory loss add to the list of more serious Neurontin side effects that may be experienced by fibromyalgia patients.
    Since Neurontin may inhibit excess neuronal activity, it is sometimes prescribed off label for conditions such as fibromyalgia as well as depression, sleep disorders, anxiety and migraine headaches.

Lyrica is also known as pregabalin and is derived from a prohibited neurotransmitter, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Lyrica has been standardised by the FDA for diabetic nerve ache and postherapetic nerve ache and is currently being used to treat pain in Fibromyalgia. The significant progress in pain happened as early as week one. There were major improvements in practical ways such as sleep, fatigue, and activity of life. It has also been approved for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in adults, the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathy, post herpetic neuralgia and adjunctive treatment of partial onset seizures.

Saysusie