Thread: Job concerns

Thanks

Default Job concerns

hello,
    only new around here,i have concerns with my job at the moment, i currently run a printing machine for a large company, now my job consists of running a process called uv curing at times. i don't know how many people know what this is but it uses a large dose of uv light to cure a printed sheet. now over the years this rash appeared on my face,un aware what it was,I proceed doing as my job does and rash would appear more heavily. Many other things were blamed for causing the rash but the uv light we never thought as also i was a very out door active person, my concerns are now if i have over exposed myself to uv light working on this machine for the last 12 years could i now have increased my chances of the lupus increasing more rapidly? attacking more quickly?

Reading through this forum has answered alot of unsolved mysteries to do with my body and reactions .

everybodys do a great job keep it up

utenutter

Thanks

I don't feel like I can be much help on this topic, as I'm not familiwar with this machine. I know some people can be sensitive to flourescent light, so it makes sense that if people with Lupus are sesitive to UV rays, then even synthetic ones could affect you. I think listening to your own body is the key. Do you get better when you have time off and aren't exposed?
    Missy

Thanks

I had three weeks off before christmas and when i returned to work, within a day of running this process the rash had come back, i still have the rash from that now.
    Since my diagnosis i have done a bit of reading up about these lamps etc. They say that light exposure from these lamps can cause over exposure in seconds.
    I have had this rash for about four years and i have only been diagnosed with lupus in december 06. What i am concerned about is that from when i first had the rash to now i have given my body alot of heavy flares in this time thinking it was what the first doctor told me it was (allergies) this is sun exposure as well as work exposure ,could of i made the lupus progress quicker than it should of.

Thanks

hi there!maybe you can wear some type of protection, like what people wear when getting an xray, in addition to using sunscreen. have you been diagnosed with lupus? i think there's a rx sunscreen you can get....

hope this helps!

Thanks

At the moment i wear sunscreen to work cause i also wear long protective clothing. These lights are very intense so the little amount of shin open yo air is still enough to expose me.i would be limited to certain clothing as you need to be ablre to move around alot,crouch between units etc. I have been diagnosed with lupus. The other fact is i also work under close to 300 flurescent lights so i am still sort of finding out whether or not they are contriuting to it. I nearly have 15 years up at this job this is why i am trying to shed some light on this as i dont particulally wont to leave but I know that the bottom line is if it is affecting my health i cant be there but if work has a major cotributation to outbreaks i can discuss my future with the company.

thanks

shane

Thanks

Default what jobs to you do?

I am gunna through this one out there if i have to change jobs, whats sort of jobs do people out there now suffings from lupus if you are photosensitive

thanks

shane

Thanks

Default Print

Maybe they would give you an opportunity to train in estimating
    or customer service to get you off the press.

Thanks

Lupus is protected under the ADA, and while I'm not an expert, my boss told me that she is required to give me "reasonable accomodations." That might mean retraining for another job or limiting your exposure. You probably want to talk to your doc about this, so you can bring it up with your boss.

I don't work Fridays and don't take night on-call shifts because of Lupus. I find that this keeps me healthier.
    Missy

Thanks

I have approached my boss, asked him to move me away and i have had no results yet. The other thing is also i work 12hr shifts (day/night) and reading some of these stories in this forum explains why i fell like crap some days. i really think it will be a matter of time befor i wont be able to do these shifts, work on the press. this is a very unpredicable disaese isn't it as you don't really know what path it is going to take with your body.

thanks
    shane