Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger and Hand Numbness

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Finger and Hand Numbness

Hi all, just a quick question: I have been experiencing numbness in my hands. It's kind of like pins and needles when your hand is asleep but it only last for 5 mins tops. Also some of my fingertips get swollen and numb. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Default fingers and toes

Ditto.....it seems to be the norm in some people....I have the same thing....and when it is cold out my fingers and toes turn white and go numb it will usually get better as long as I try to keep them warm....I get the tingleing all the time.....nearly daily....I just watch it closely and keep a journal for my next dr.s visist. I always call my doctor when this and something new crops up.....There are some great books out there also....you might want to check into...I just got finished with one "Lupus" A guide for the newly diagnosed. Sorry cant remember the aurthors name.....typical....brain fog is pretty much a constant as well. Good luck to you and god bless. Dawn

Thanks

Thanks Dawn, I think I will pick up that book. I got a couple of other names of books to read as well. I think it's a good idea to read up as much as we can! About the numbness it doesn't seem to happen regularly but it is definately scary when it does happen.

Thanks

Hi Kat1224!

I don't know if this is normal, but I have exactly the same problem! :shock: My hands often go numb for approximately five minutes and my fingers are often swollen. I would also describe the sensation as an asleep/pins and needles feeling.

I'm afraid that I can't tell you what it is, as I have no idea either! Hopefully, someone will be able to shed some light on this! :?

Keep well and God bless!

Thanks

hey guys, i get the same things too, and i'm pretty sure it's called 'neuropathy'. it can be the numb, pins and needles or asleep feeling, or the creepy crawlies too. hope this helps!

be well

Thanks

Hi, I'm Tess I'm a junior doctor working in the UK. Pins and needles and swelling in my hands was my first symptom of lupus and it was due to arthritis in my wrists putting pressure on the median nerve : carpal tunnel syndrome caused by lupus arthritis. It's different from when your hands go cold and white which is due to spasms in the blood vessels.

Thanks

Hi!

I have had my wrists and hands ultrasounded and fortunately, I do not have Arthritis in my hands or wrists.

I think that what I experience is Neuropathy, myself.

Thanks for replying, Tess and Angela!

Keep well and God bless!

Thanks

Default OMG!

I have this issue too and never even thought of it being from the Lupus. My hands swell and tingle and I wake up with a feeling they are asleep. Mine just started a couple of months ago so I added it to my question list for my doctor. I keep finding something out new the more I read here.

Thanks

I have experienced this for years...its so important to talk to your reuhmatologist about it, because usually they are the ones to be able to read the symptoms and help alleviate the symptoms. When I was 16, ( I am 26 now) I used to have horrible problems with my hands and arms going numb. I saw the a general practioner and he said it must be carpal tunnel. He gave me some stupid braces to wear that didn't do a thing. It wasn't untill I was diagnosed with lupus that my dr told me that the neuropathy was probably an effect of my lupus. It makes sense to me....I don't know if anyones else has this problem, but since being diagnosed I have gotten horribly clumsy. My legs sometimes just give out on me.

Thanks

I've been feeling the same numbness or pins and needles in my toes and sometimes my hands for the last three months. At first I blamed it on wearing dress shoes and being on my feet in front of a classroom all day. Then I noticed that it happened even on days when I wore my Keds, or even when I was home and berefoot all day. My toes usually bother me the most in the evening, and sometimes, it is somewhat painful to feel the sheets on them when I go to bed.
    The leg suddenly giving out symptom that Ruth described was the first symptom that I had, over 10 years ago. I remember parking my car one day and getting out, to just suddenly sit down HARD on the ground because my knee just buckled. It frightened my young daughter, who was getting out on the other side of the car. Now it happens often, and I've learned to compensate enough that I rearely fall.
    Marla