Thread: New Member - Hello

Thanks

Default New Member - Hello

My name is Terri, I live in Clearwater, Florida, I am 48 years young and have had mild SLE since 1992. I've been in remission since 1995 and just recently started having kidney problems and Im very concerned and frightened. Thank you.

Thanks

Hi Terri!

Welcome to the Forum! I'm so glad that you found us! Please just know that anytime that you need advice, support, encouragement or just to vent/chat, we're all here for you!

I'm sure that you'll find the most fantastic bunch of people on this Forum! I certainly have! Anytime you have a question, someone will be sure to answer you, so please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't be concerned or frightened; there are many very successful treatments available for kidney problems today. While reading through some of the posts, you will most likely come across a few. If you need to ask any questions about this, please don't hesitate! I'm sure that many people will respond with very helpful and informative advice and information, as many people on this Forum have/have had various kidney problems.

Keep well and God bless!

Thanks

Welcome, Terri! I'm 29 and have had Lupus for 3 years, starting off with Lupus Nephritis. It's been a journey, but things are much better for me now than they were three years ago.

I wish you healing and happiness!
    Missy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Terrilynn
    Welcome to our family.
    Do not feel alone about your kidney involvement. It is estimated that about one-third of people with lupus will develop kidney involvement that requires medical evaluation and treatment.
    There are two primary types of kidney involvement with Lupus: lupus nephritis or lupus glomerulonephritis.
    Here is a website that will give you information about both:
    http://www.lupus.org/education/brochures/kidney.html

There are many successful treatments for kidney involvement with Lupus, so please do not over worry yourself so early in the diagnoses. In any event, we are here to help you, to answer any questions that you may have and to give you as much support as you need!!
    I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Kidney Biopsy

My Biggest concern is Im afraid they will put me back on prednizone, I will not take that toxic drug today, is there anything else that can help?

Thank you all so much. Terri

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Terry
    Kidney invovlement with Lupus is generally called lupus nephritis and it manifests itself in several forms. However, any particular form of lupus nephritis has a variety of treatments available that are effective. The treatment lupus nephritis depends largely upon your particular form of kidney disease, but it will also depend on the way that lupus is also affecting other areas of your body, your overall health, and, of course, your personal wishes about the various medications. Other medications (other than corticosteroids) must take into consideration their contraindications that could further injure the kidneys, such as elevated blood pressure and medication-induced kidney toxicity.
    In general, lupus nephritis is a result of inflammation in the kidneys that is associated with an over-active immune (defense) system. As a consequence, antibodies against your own tissues (auto-antibodies) form antibody-tissue (antibody-antigen) unions (complexes) that in turn deposit in the kidney and initiate a destructive inflammatory reaction. Therefore, treatment usually involves medications that reduce the inflammation and that suppresses the immune system. The best and most efficient drugs for acheiving this are corticosteroids (such as prednisone) and immunosuppressants (such as Cytoxin or Imuran).
    Corticosteroids, such as prednisone and prednisolone, are accepted as the initial treatment for lupus nephritis. Some patients are given a high dose corticosteroid (methylprednisolone) in a single, large doses (pulses) intravenously for three consecutive days and this has also been found to be a useful initial treatment for lupus nephritis. This treatment is then followed by corticosteroids by mouth (usually prednisone). The immune suppression medications that are used to treat lupus nephritis include azathioprine (Imuran) and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), both of which can be given by mouth. Cyclophosphamide is also given as an intravenous, single large dose (pulse) in certain situations. These pulses are continued monthly for six months and every three months thereafter.
    Newer approaches to the treatment of lupus nephritis have had success, such as using the immunosuppressant, mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept), adenosine analogues, and combinations of existing medications. Some of these treatments involve the blocking of various molecules that stimulate the cells of inflammation. Finally, some research and treatments are being attempted that completely reconstitute the immune system in patients with lupus by using bone marrow transplantation and stem cell transplantation. All of these approaches are in the very preliminary stages of development and are not yet accepted as first line treatments.
    Talk to your doctor and discuss your options and your wishes before you make any final decisions about what you will or will not take. You must take into consideration your overall health and the need to avoid further damage to your organs!
    I wish you the very best....keep us posted

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you saysusie that was so helpful. I try to read all I can but thanks to previous use of prednizone I don't retain much infor anymore. My biopsy was rescheduled for next Friday, I dont know how long it takes to get the results, but I know that I will be on pins and needles. Does diet have anything to do with kidney disease? Thank you.