Thread: Kidney Biopsy

Thanks

Default Kidney Biopsy

I have SLE and have to go next week for a kidney biopsy. Does anyone know why it is only done on one kidney and how do they know what kidney to biopsy? You can have kidney disease in only one kidney.

Thank you.

Thanks

Hi!

My nephrologist chuckled when I asked the same question. I guess he hadn't thought of it, because if you have Lupus Nephritis, it doesn't just go for one kidney, but both. I did have a biopsy. It was WAY easier than I thought it'd be. The worst was not eating and having to lay down for 3 hours after. I was so hungry by then that my mom fed me laying down! :lol:

I also had acupunctuer that same morning before my biopsy and I think it really helped with my anxiety about the whole thing. It was my first time ever being in the hospital!

I wish you luck and if you have any other questions, let me know!
    Missy

Thanks

Default Kidney Biopsy

How did you feel afterwards and did you have any limitations? Im going in as an outpatient. Does the procedure hurt? How do they know if they are getting the right spot? Thank you.

Thanks

Hi Terrilynn -

They usually give you a local anesthetic, but can give you something to relax, too. You lay on your stomach and the procedure is done with basically a big needle they put through your skin to get a pinch of your kidney. You do have to breathe in and hold your breath while they put the needle in, so that your kidney stays in place (it moves when you breathe because of your diaphragm). They use an ultrasound to tell where your kidney is. They usually take 2-3 samples. It takes a total of 20 minutes, maybe. Then, you have to stay laying down for a few hours after.

My procedure was at 4:00 in the afternoon, and they kept me until 7:00 am. The first three hours they check your vitals every 15 minutes to be sure there isn't any internal bleeding issues (very rare). Then, it goes to every 30 minutes, and you know you're in good shape when they come every hour.

I can't tell you enough how much easier it was than I thought it would be. It was my first invasive procedure and stay in the hospital and I was scared! Now, I would do it without blinking. You will do great!!!

The only limitations after are to take it easy for a few days - no vacuuming, heavy lifting, etc.

That's what I remember, but if you have more questions, let me know!!
    Missy