Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Hair Affair

Thanks

Default My Hair Affair

Well, my hair is coming back, and looks fairly thick in most places (a little thin on the sides but that's ok.) It's about a quarter inch long right now and here's the wierd part: In some places (like the crown of my head) it's straight looking, but all around the perimeters it's curly! and black! ou better believe I'll be reaching for that red dye as soon as it's long enough to do anything with.
    People, tell me about "transition cuts" after you lost and regained your hair. I am looking forward to having a decent haircut by Easter, but am curious as to what you all did with your hair.
    I am sorry for such a vain subject but, y'all, HAIR is HAIR and I am so glad it's back. Thanks and love, Kathy

Thanks

Kathy: I am glad to hear your hair is coming back but you really suited the bald look, not many people can get away with that but you definitely can. Even Brittney Speirs is trying that look out.

I know you have been having lots, and lots of health problems lately that you just can't seem to get on top of. I wonder because of that if you might consider sparing your system the extra stress of chemicals in the hair dye and just go natural. Red dye especially is toxic on the body, I know because I too was a had bottled auburn hair. I had to go au natural a few years ago when I continued to have severe attacks and illness after a dye job. Even the temporary dyes would set me off. Now I stay away as I feel it just isn't worth the risk.

Just a suggestion, especially now since you are starting over with new hair anyway, seems like the perfect time.

Your friend from Canada.....Patricia(beautifulbeluga)

Thanks

thank you Beluga! I look really, really funny right now. The hair just sticks up all over my head! Hubby has started calling me "fuzzy wuzzy"!
    I actually got to the point where I liked being bald. But when the hair is back, it's a pain to shave your head all the time.
    I've read all the info on this board about dyes. Truth be told, when my hair was long it had a reddish tint to it; I just started jazzing it up in my 20's. Blondes were everywhere, but redheads were RARE! Besides that, I am so much like beloved LUCY it is unreal. I am thinking of trying natural products when the time comes. But I will give lots of thought and research before I do it. Love, Kathy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kathy;
    Your new hair is basically baby-fine hair and will not be strong enough for dye for a while. Your baby-fine hair will pretty much do whatever it wants to do. For me, I kept a close-crop hair cut and let the baby hair curl (as baby hair is wont to do) as it liked. You will find that the baby hair does not have much color or life at first, but that will eventually get better as that hair breaks off and your new, stronger hair begins to grow in. Make sure that you are very gentle with this new baby-fine hair, keep it moisturized and conditioned (I used a volumizing conditioner to give it more body - like you, I was eventually totally bald and had to grow an entire new head of hair!). My new hair is NOTHING like my former head of hair. So, be prepared to have an entirely new grade of hair (this does not happen to everyone, but it happened to me).
    I am so happy to hear that your hair is growing back...take good care of it. The good news is...it may never fall out again!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Kathy, my hair was poker straight all my life - I would have done anything for curly hair when I was younger - so I try to look at it as I finally got my wish, just not quite the way I intended it! LOL -Seriously, your hair will be very fragile for a long time - so the less "fixing" you do with it the better - blow dryers, hot rollers, coloring, all the stuff is incredibly hard on your hair. not to mention your scalp. I just continued wearing hats while the baby fuzz grew out, then worse it just it short and curly for a long time. Mine has been growing back for months now and has finally reached shoulder length - although pre-lupus and chemo my hair grew super fast - this time it took forever just to get this long - but at least it is hair now and not peach fuzz. So don't despair - it will get longer and thicker - it just takes time.

Thanks

I've been gone for awhile and since I'm on a successful role of "chating" I was wondering how you and Beautiful Beluga were doing....and here I found you.....almost with a bottle of dye in your hands. BUT WAIT....DON'T DO IT !

My hair affair was quite traumatic for me (vanity oh vanity); it seemed like it took forever to come back and then when it did, I colored it! What a mistake, first my scalp broke out with sores all over my head; then the doctor told me that because of the chemical content in the hair dye it's not good to do; especially when you're on strong drugs (which I was at the time). So it all fell out again.

Now it's come back and it's pure silver!! Freaked me out, but as all of us who have lost our hair know how wonderful it feels to walk out in the world without a cap, scarf, or hat!! I get so many compliments and to be truthful, it feels good to not be a slave to the hairdye. Now I shampoo with special shampoo because of all the drugs, my scalp is very sensitive. It is so nice to wash my hair, and never have to put another drop of color on it again.

As my son once said to me; "mom, people don't like you because of hair color, they like you because you're nice".....kids, they put our lives in such simple and true terms.

So, be bold my friend - let your heart shine and leave the hair alone (smile).

I've missed you, friend.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

An update...hubby took me out and bought me a wig. It's fabulous! Not heavy or hot at all like I thought. And it's long and red, the same shade my hair used to be when I dyed it. I haven't had hair this long (layered and to the middle of my back) since high school! I test drove it when we went out on a rare night with friends and got so many compliments. ( I wanted to say, "You should have seen my hair before lupus took it away.) My real hair is SLOWLY getting thicker but looks just icky. I won't wear the wig unless I am going out, as it has a wire in it that makes it a bit uncomfortable if I wear it all day. What is SO COOL a bout it is that it is synthetic, and all I have to do to it is swish it in shampoo water and conditioner once aweek, dry it upside down (no blow dryer or curlers) and then brush it. Fabulous! Love, Kathy

Thanks

time for an update--
    It's an inch long, still baby fine (my hair was baby fine before all this, so no suprise there) dark and somewhat curly. It is still not long enough for cutting or styling, except to gel it and comb it the way I want it to be when it dries (like, in no time.) I wish it were thicker, but on MTX, this is ok.
    Some days I part it on the side and comb it like a little boy haircut. Lately I "spike" it--cute, I look like a little hedgehog.
    I have, for the first time in my life, found a few grays. No, I don't pull them out. If you do that, seven grays will come to its funeral. What the heck, my mom started going gray at this age. And goodness knows I have been through enough stress to bring them on.
    I am NOT coloring my hair. After all it's been through, I won't torture it. Besides, I am heeding the advice I got here. I don't think chemicals are a good idea right now. Thanks, y'all--I might have tried to dye it and made myself sicker.
    I'll post pics soon of me with my daughter, both wigless and wig free. Our hair, our hair, our hair. Silly, isn't it?

Thanks

No it's not silly I am happy that you're feeling better about your hair

I had really long hair about a year ago (it'd been long since I was 13--26 years ago!) and I went to a cancer walk for life... and had it all cut off so it could be made into a wig for kids. (Locks of Love program) I have lived with the apprehension of losing my hair when I have to start the chemo drugs (doc keeps threatening me with them... LOL) and know that just the apprehension is bad... so having no hair (especially for a kid) would be SO hard... so I had the hairstylist cut it off to crewcut length in the back, and wedge it to the same length on the sides... and sent in 3 big locks to the program... It's growing back, but if I can avoid the chemo drugs for another year or so, I'll do it all over again...

I can only imagine how stressful it is not to have hair... I had a friend who was in her 50's go through chemo and lose her hair--she was so self conscious... She felt like she should have a tattoo on her head that said "CHEMO PATIENT" so that people wouldn't stare.

I hope you enjoy your hair And don't pluck those grays--you earned them
    I like mine... haha
    --Kristin

Thanks

Kristen, don't fear losing your hair if your doc says chemo is best. I found that, as long as I carried myself with dignity, other people treated me in kind. And I noticed that without my hair, people paid attention to my FACE. When I wear the wig, the first thing they comment on is my hair. I prefer it when they stare at my eyes. Love, Kathy