Thread: Common Variable Immunodeficiency (C.V.I.D.)

Thanks

Default Common Variable Immunodeficiency (C.V.I.D.)

Hi!

Does anyone know anything about Common Variable Immunodeficiency (C.V.I.D.)? I read an article about it the other day, but there is very little information on the Internet.

Thanks and keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is what I found out. It may be the same thing that you found. CVID is an immunodeficiency disorder characterized by a low level of antibodies, making it difficult for your body to fight diseases. You then becomes sick with recurrent infections. Like Lupus, The symptoms of the disease are very different for each person affected, which is why it is called a "variable" group of disorders. Immunodeficiency means that the immune system is deficient in one or more of its components and is unable to respond effectively. Common variable immunodeficiency is the most common of the immunodeficiency disorders.
    Also, like Lupus, The cause of CVID is unknown. In some cases, more than one individual in a family may be affected, while in other cases this is not the case. There is a decrease in the number of immunoglobulins (antibodies) in the affected person. Immunoglobulins are produced by the body and are necessary in fighting infections. Patients with common variable immunodeficiency have a normal number of B cells, the lymphocytes that make antibodies. In approximately one-third of these patients, the number of B cells in the blood that have IgG antibodies on their surface is lower than normal, but there are normal numbers of B cells in their bone marrow. B cells with IgG antibodies on their surface are capable of responding to microorganisms. The lack of IgG on the surface of the B cells means that they are not prepared to fight infection. The T-cell lymphocytes, those cells responsible for cellular immunity, are usually normal, although some cell signal components may be lacking.
    The diagnosis of common variable immunodeficiency is suspected when the patient has low levels of antibodies in the blood stream, a poor immune response to vaccines, and a history of recurrent infections. Patients with CVID develop recurrent infections of the sinuses, ears, nose and lungs. They may also develop enlarged lymph nodes (palpable glands in the neck and groin) or an enlarged spleen. Infections of the gastrointestinal tract may also occur. Individuals with CVID have an increased incidence of malignant lymphomas and autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
    The following are the most common symptoms of CVID. However, each person may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include: frequent bacterial infections of the ears, sinuses, bronchi, and lungs. Patients may develop painful swollen joints in the knee, ankle, elbow, or wrist. CVI patients frequently complain of symptoms involving the digestive tract. They also commonly have an enlarged spleen and swollen glands or lymph nodes. Along with other autoimmune problems, some patients develop autoantibodies that attack their own blood cells. CVI patients have an increased risk of developing some cancers.
    There is no treatment that will cure the disorder. Treatment for common variable immunodeficiency aims at boosting the body's immune response and preventing or controlling infections. Immune serum, obtained from donated blood, is given as a source of antibodies to boost the immune response. Immune serum is obtained from donated blood. It contains whatever antibodies the donors had in their blood. Consequently, it may not contain all the antibodies that the patient needs and may lack antibodies specific for some of the recurring infections that these patients suffer. Antibiotics are used routinely at the first sign of an infection to help the patient eliminate infectious microorganisms.
    I hope that I've answered your question. Let me know if you need anything further!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thank you VERY, VERY much for all of your information! I sincerely appreciate it! It was very thorough and helpful, so thank you!

I am seeing my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist on Monday and I was planning to discuss C.V.I.D. with him or the possibility of me having an immunodeficiency disorder, which was also suggested by Marycain.

I have never had my IgG, IgA and IgM levels tested before and I think that this would be a very good idea. You see, my lymph nodes have been PERMANENTLY swollen since September and refuse to go down. Also, I have a very large spleen (although we think that I may have been born with this because they first discovered that my spleen was too large when I was five years old and had an abdominal ultrasound scan - to check for ovarian cysts, which I had when I was in my mother's uterus), which is continuing to get larger! I suffer from terrible infections all the time, mainly in my lungs, my kidneys, my bladder, my throat, my sinuses, my gastrointestinal tract and my ears. My kidneys/bladder get infected approximately every two weeks (Infact, I happen to have a kidney infection now, hilariously enough! :x) and so does my throat (Guess what?! I have a strep. throat at the moment too!)! I have a constant strep. throat! EVERY TWO WEEKS THE INFECTION RETURNS! I will be placed on antibiotics for approximately a week (with Prednisone if the infection is in my lungs) and they will work brilliantly, until a week or two later, the infection returns! :cry: Now, my lungs are joining the cycle! I have now had Bronchitis three times in one month (it goes away for two to three days and then it returns! :cry and now, I have Whooping Cough, despite having been immunised against Pertussis (apparently, it wears off by age eleven or twelve though. Great! :x Two of my closest friends have it and we think that I caught it from another girl in my grade, who had it first.)! I have really bad Asthma too, so all of these infections are not good for my lungs. :cry: These episodes of Bronchitis have really gone all out in attacking my lungs; I get so ill that we worry that I may have Pneumonia, but my chest X-Ray came out clear, so that's good, at least!

It just doesn't make sense! How can I have a strep. throat, a kidney infection and Whooping Cough at the same time?! :? :x Prior to the Whooping Cough, I generally ended up with a strep. throat, a kidney infection and Bronchitis at the same time! :x

I'm sorry, but it's just impossible to become infected so easily! Something must be wrong, which is why I suspect possibly having a primary immunodeficiency syndrome. Even as a child, I ALWAYS had very bad sinus, ear and throat infections. I did do a lot of Swimming, but I ALWAYS wore ear plugs (and still do), as well as when I had my hair washed in the bath. I also have VERY bad allergies though and I have lots of polyps in my sinuses; there is also something wrong with the formation of one of my sinuses, but I can't remember exactly what the problem is (it's on a C.T. Scan in my X-Ray packet). I am on anti-histamines (and have been since I was six years old), but Marycain suggested a drug called 'Singulair' (Montelukast) instead, which I am going to speak to my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist about on Monday because anti-histamines make one sleepy and I honestly cannot afford to become any more fatigued than I already am! Apparently, it's also very helpful for Asthma, so that would be fantastic, but I do not know if it is available here?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond, Saysusie and for all of your very detailed, insightful and helpful information!

Keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

ILoveHistory :lol:
    You are more than welcome. You are doing the right thing by learning about your body and your illness. Also, in taking a pro-active stand in your health care. You are right, there is no way to suffer from so many infectious illnessess and there not be something wrong, like an underlying illness.
    Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out and how you are doing!!

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thank you very much!

I will keep you posted and let you know what the doctor says!

Keep well and God bless!