Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautifulbeluga-Dropped off the face of the earth?

Thanks

Default Beautifulbeluga-Dropped off the face of the earth?

Hi All:

Not sure anyone missed me but I know I have missed you all. I caught up on a few posts and see everyone is managing to survive the winter blues. I see Kathy has been "rat hunting" and has a successful kill, and has entertained us all with her stories or color and excitement as well as her wonderful recipes. Browneyedgirl, nice to know you finally got a computer that works and Marycain and Saysusie I am as always impressed with your sharing, support and knowledge you share with others. To everyone else a big hello.

To catch you all up on what I have been up too. I am now four months post-op from my total knee replacement and awaiting a second surgery on my other knee. This has been a very difficult recovery for me and I am still in constant pain. Of course as expected my UCTD has complicated my recovery and I seem to be in one flare after another. My surgeon reports all looks well on the x rays and that pain and healing may continue on for months yet. This undoubtedly has been the most difficult surgery I have ever had and by far the most painful. For those out there who have gone before me with knee replacement surgery probably only you can understand.

With my constant pain my rheumy refused again to put me on prednisone which really helps but started me on Methotrexate one month ago which hasn't helped me yet but does make me sick, at least for a couple of days after taking it. My dose is only 7.5 and I am not sure if it is not going to work or it takes longer to kick in. I thought my rheumy said I should notice a difference by four weeks. Any comments about this drug would be welcome.

My husband has torn our master bathroom out and is doing a total rebuild so we have been eating plaster dust and saw dust now for almost a month and still no tub and shower. Makes handling my IBS a bit of a challenge especially in the mornings because this is our only bathroom on the level of the bedrooms. Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth all the inconvenience in the long run.

My adult son moved into our basement after his relationship broke up in December which was unexpected and my grandson came to live with us two nights ago after a failed attempt to live with his father in Toronto. He lasted only 4 months and so I guess he will be a permanent fixture here for a while at least until he finishes school. In addition, we have a woman staying with us from Israel, here doing immigration interviews for 10 days. I was beginning to think she would have to sleep in the bathtub that by the way is in the middle of my living room but I decided to hang my grandson on a hook down the basement to sleep instead and gave her his bedroom. Never a dull moment around here.

That's about it folks. We have had a real cold snap here in Manitoba and temperatures have hovered around -38C some days. Too cold for man or beast and this cold makes my joints, muscles, and bones feel like I have been sleeping with a Mack truck in my bed instead of my husband. I think I really need to come to warmer climate in the winter time. Any invitations?

Hope everyone out there is doing well and keeping warm..Nice to be back.

Take care.....sending you all positive energy..........Beautifulbeluga

Thanks

I wish I had some warm weather to offer you, but the cold wet rainy weather here wouldn't be any improvement. You've definitely been missed - I thought maybe your knee made it hard to sit and type comfortably. Sorry it has been such a long and difficult recovery. I wish you could take prednisone right now, but your rheumie is probably concerned that it would interfere with the healing process, which you certainly wouldn't want. But everything I've read about methotrexate suggests it takes about three months to feel much benefit from it. I hope your doctor is at least providing you with adequate pain meds while you recover. Can you use a TENS unit to help with your pain in the meantime?

Thanks

Thanks Marycain for your reply. I didn't realize that MTX took so long to kick in as I thought it happened much sooner. Actually, I had to call today regarding my monthly blood test because it is now needed and my doctor's assistant thought that they would probably increase my dose and give it to me by injection since I was not yet feeling better. Yes, I do have lots of pain medication but do not like to take it if I don't have to. For the first couple of months I was on heavy dose of Oxycotin every 12 hours and Percocet for break-through pain and had such a hard time coming off it. It took weeks of withdrawal to get it out of my system so now I use only non-narcotic pain medication even though it is not very effective. I can use narcotic medication once in a while if I am desperate now that my physical dependence is no longer evident. I probably should have taken it longer but I didn't like the side effects it caused although it was wonderful at relieving pain.

How have you been yourself Marycain? I would imagine the rainy weather is pretty hard on you. How is the family and all the little critters around your property? Hope this post finds you in the best of health and spirits.

Thanks

There's an amino acid called D-LPA available in most health food stores in the US that actually helps relieve pain - I've started taking it again regularly because the weather really kicks up my bone pain and I can tell a difference after a couple of days regular use. It helps your body produce more endorphins to relieve pain naturally without the drug side effects. So it might be an option to discuss with your doctor if it's available in Canada.

The kids are all doing well - oldest two are in a growth spurt and it seems like they need new clothes every two weeks. The weather makes all of them tired and cranky - hopefully it will improve soon. But our goats have grown a fur coat you wouldn't believe - they are definitely prepared for winter, and spend most of the time right now in the barn, being guarded by the stray dog we adopted, who does not like being in the house and scratches and whines to get out - I guess the goats are her "pack". Like you we're going through a little family drama - my nephew got expelled from his school and wants to stay with us to go to school in this district. I want to help but he's sixteen and not the influence I want around. I admire you for taking in both your son and your grandson - are you starting to feel like the old woman who lived in the shoe? Hopefully they at least help you around the house and don't expect you to wait on them!

I can relate to the post surgery pain - although I haven't had knee replacement I've had the left knee operated on five times - the orthopods tell me I'm not a candidate for TKR, so they keep trying to fix it in bits and pieces. I would have to say that most doctors significantly underestimate post-surgery pain (especially the ones who have never had surgery themselves). The doctor who did my mastectomies prescribed tynelol for post-op pain and got ticked off when the nurses called him for stronger meds because I was in such severe pain. Needless to say, I changed surgeons and I don't recommend him to anyone.

I hope you get warmer weather soon so you can return to the water. I saw a special on belugas on TV the other day and thought of you first thing - the looked so free and contended swimming in the water.

Thanks

WElcome back!

I'm sending you lots of positive, healing energy for the knee and the joints!!! I hope it works!!!

I wish I had some good weather to send you, but my dog wouldn't even go outside to go potty last night because it was raining so hard. I had to practically drag her out. I knew she had to pee!!!
    Missy

Thanks

Beluga, welcome baaaaaack! I certainly HAVE missed you, and I am sorry to hear about the pain you are having. I, too, am taking methotrexate, and had extreme nausea to the point of ridiculousness. The doc now has me taking compazine, which has helped a lot.
    Love, Kathy

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the pain from your knee replacement. I have a dear friend who went through the same thing - docs gave her unrealistic expectations and she felt badly about not progressing more quickly. As though it was her fault! Hmmm. I hope the MTX kicks in soon and you find relief. It's nice to have you back among the fold. Blessings to you, Beautifulbeluga.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Beautiful... :lol:
    Marycain is already providing you with excellent advice and information. I just wanted to take the time to welcome you back and to say that we are happy that you are here again.
    I am sorry that your recovery is taking so long, but the Methotrexate does take some months before you will see the benefits. I am sure that the cold weather is not helping much Especially while you are in the midst of a remodel also. But, I imagine it will be (as you said) well worth the wait once it is completed.
    You've had quite a few familial changes, but I bet it feels good to have your son and your grandson so close huh? If nothing else, they do good things for your emotional spirit and gives you reasons to smile!

I hope your recovery gets better, I will keep you in my thoughts and my prayers. On the selfish side, I am so happy that you are back with us!!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks my friends for all the welcome back replies:

Marycain..I will check at our local health food store about D-LPA. I haven't heard of it here in Canada but it is quite possible that it is available, thanks for the information regarding it. Just to let you know that I actually did return to the water one month after surgery but have had to cut back especially on the water aerobics because my OS said "all that hopping around probably wasn't good for my knee". But I love to hop around !!!!! He is right though I think because my knee was feeling not to bad last week and I took an aerobic class from a new instructor and immediately felt this excruciating knee pain almost immediately that still hasn't gone away. No more aerobics for me for a few weeks at least and will have to be satisfied with just water exercises, and swimming. At least I am in the water.....Yeah.

Missy....Thanks for the healing energy, I am hoping it works immediately. I know what you mean about dogs and weather. My husband has to bribe our Kira (daschund) to go outside with a cookie. She looks so cute in her little red jacket and big tummy, kind of a canine R.C.M.P. officer with four legs.

Kathy: I saw you were also struggling with that methotrexate and am glad they found something to help with your nausea. My rhumie didn't give me anything, and the first week I was on it I thought I was going to die. Today, they doubled my dose from 7.5 to 15 mg. so I just know I am going to suffer on Sunday which is my dose day. I wanted the injections instead of the pills to see if my stomach would be a bet less settled but they gave me pills again.

Jody....I hear that from lots of people that they really weren't told what to expect with TKR surgery. I have had many surgeries and thought I knew what I was getting in to but I know I have been surprised how painful and how involved the recovery process is.

Saysusie: Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well yourself. I am not sure I agree with you about the arrival of my grandson and son being particularly a good thing and they don't always make me smile or lift my spirits. I love them both dearly but I wish things had worked out in their own relationships so they didn't have to use my home as and emergency shelter quite so often. There comes a point in life when we want those we love to be close but not necessarily living with you. I have raised my children, countless foster children , grandchildren and now honestly I would really like to be responsible only for myself and my husband. It would be so nice not to always be caught up in family crisis and to make plans only as a couple especially now we are older and have ever increasing health conditions. However, as you well know our plans are not always Gods plans, so for now I will do the very best I can with our present situation.

Thanks

Hi Beautifulbeluga!

I'm SO sorry that you are going through such a rough time. :cry: Please know that you are in my prayers.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you any advice about the Methotrexate.

Keep well!