Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tummy problems

Thanks

Default Tummy problems

Hello,
    Do any of you have intestinal problems from Lupus?
    I seem to be having a lot of digestive problems and pain.
    Thanks,
    Susana
    Life is a challenge,grab it by the horns, and wrestle it. Susana

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Susana;
    Yes - I have IBS and Acid Reflux. Both are, unfortunately, pretty common with Lupus patients. I take Dicyclomine HCL for the IBS and prescription tagament for the Acid Reflux!
    8)
    Saysusie

Thanks

I'm going to the gastroentorologist(I'm not sure how to spell that) next week,I'm going to see if he can suggest something.
    Thank you
    Susana
    Life is a challenge,grab it by the horns, and wrestle it. Susana

Thanks

Yep very common. Pepcid helps with acid reflux for me. I take high fiber diet to help with irritable bowel and at night take a little bulk fiber metamucil. And have found that probiotics. Which is healthy flora for the bowel has helped a lot. Plaquinel destroys the healthy flora of the bowel.
    Muriate

Thanks

In another topic on this site we talked about being a vegitarian. I am one.

I became one due to the stomach problems and the incredible fatigue I would feel after eating. I still have stomach problems and fatigue, but it's been significantly better since I stopped eating meat and yeast.

Thanks

Ive been having really painful heartburn and stomach aches for almost a year now. I didnt know that could be a symptom of Lupus. I'm not taking anything for it, except lots and lots of Tums.

After i eat i always feel very very tired and bloated. Its come to the point where i seriously think im going to fall asleep no matter how hard i try to stay awake, which doesnt make my teachers very happy. A couple of years ago my regular doctor tried to put me on a gluten free diet, but after about 3 months i switched back to eating normally because it was too hard for me and my family. I was only about 10 at the time and i wouldnt always remember that i wasnt allowed to have pasta and bread etc when i went over to a friends house. It seemed to be fine for about 2 years or so but now all the problems i had when i was first started on the diet have seem to come back. I'm not really sure if i should start back on it though because it seems to be harder to eat healthy now that im in highschool. All of the restaurants within walking distance of the school are either pizza places or pasta houses.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Anna;
    The "En Vogue" diet now seems to be low carbs (or gluten-free). However, that is not a good diet for Lupus patients because it requires a high intake of protein and protein is what we should cut down on as it is what our bodies attack!. So....we end up being vegetarians or very close to vegetarians :lol:
    I eat lots and lots of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. In order to get protein, I eat fresh fish and poultry...Absolutely no red meats whatsoever (or no four-legged animal products!) I eat lots of fresh nuts and whole grains. I try to stay away from any white flour products and white rice. But...my main-stay is fresh vegetables!! One of my favorite meals is a large shataki (not sure how to spell that) mushroom prepared like a steak..with grilled oinions. I also make a very good mushroom burger with all of the fixings!!! You'd be surprised how many ways vegetables can replace meat and still taste wonderful!!!
    For us..diet and exercise are very important. Pay careful attention to what foods you eat. The more you do it, the easier it gets

Best Of Luck
    Peace and BLessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I am trying to eat less of a gluten diet as my Naturopath suggested. I have surveyed many Naturopaths in the area and all have said they have lots of patients that are successful with managing lupus symptoms on a gluten-free diet, as wheat tends to provoke a reaction in many bodies. more people seem to have allergies to gluten every day. However, gluten-free does not mean "carb-free," and I also would not suggest that. However, there are non-gluten ways to get carbs and bread-like foods. They make gluten-free breads, you can have rice & rice crackers, millet, quinoa, potatoes as a side dish, corn tortillas instead of flour, etc. I can't go all the way because I love a variety of food so much!!!!

Saysusie, one time you mentioned no alfalfa sprouts or lugumes - why is that? No one, not even my dietician friends, has mentioned that to me before?

Missy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Missy;
    There are two drugs that are known to induce a lupus-like syndrome: Procainamide and hydralizine. These drugs have chemicals known as hydrazines and amines. These chemicals are also in many other products, such as alfalfa seeds and sprouts and legumes. Hydrazine, amines, and their derivatives, are also found in herbicides, pesticides, photographic supplies and dyes as well as mushrooms.
    So, it is suggested that Lupus patients avoid foods which contain Hydrazines and amines - such as alfalfa and legumes.
    I also try to add a lot of orange and yellow vegetables (carrots etc.) to my diet as they are very high in anti-oxidants. Lupus patients are susceptible to high lipid levels (like cholesterol and tryglycerides) and these vegetables help to fight oxidation (the process that turns cholesterol into artery cloggers!).

Take Care Of Yourself
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks so much for the ifo - I had been wondering about that! On a lot of lupus info it states "environmental causes" as a potential instigator of lupus, but rarely do they go into details. And I didn't know about mushrooms, which I love! Plus, I need the fiber in the legumes, but I suppose everything in moderation, right? Are hydrazines and amines naturally-ocurring in these foods or added as pesticides? I mean, if I'm eating these foods organically, am I likely to get less of these chemicals?

What do you think?

Thanks again, Saysusie!