Thread: Muscle? Bone? pain

Thanks

Default Muscle? Bone? pain

HI,

I've been diagnosed with Lupus just since June and so I'm still very much in the learning process. I have a question about what seems to be muscle or maybe tendon and sometimes bone pain.

My lower leg muscles around my knees are painful to touch ...sort of right where they attach to the knee. I have pain in my shoulder blades in back and around my shoulders down into my arms as well. Lately I've even noticed pain if I happen to touch my hip bones. It's all very strange.

It seems to be the muscles or tendons or the bone itself not the actual joint. When I have a major lupus flare my muscles burn and are very weak ...that takes a long time to resolve too ...but this is a different type of soreness ...more like a tender spot instead of the general "take my breathe away" burn of the bad flare.

Any ideas anyone? Is this just another interesting fun manifestation of our friend Lupus? Do you think cause for concern or just another "learn to live with it" thing?

Thanks

MrsMurdena, I wonder if it could be fibromyalgia? I know there are 'tender spots' that define fibromyalgia. You can search on the web to read about that and even see a diagram of where those tender spots are. I don't know a lot about the disease, but in my reading about lupus, I've read that those with lupus can often have fibromyalgia as well. Here's one link (Mayo Clinic) that will describe fibromyalgia, and it includes a 'diagram' of those tender spots. Probably worth asking your doctor about.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fib...079/DSECTION=6

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Mrs Murdena
    I have weird bone and tendon pain too. Sometimes on the tip of my elbows, hips and knees not in the joint per se. I have come to the conclusion its part of the overall lupus inflammation process. My doc thinks I have fibromyalgia as well as lupus but I don't think I do . I think sometimes prednisone can induce fibro. The problem with this type of inflammation is that prednisone doesn't seem to help. I don't have any other good tips for this but it does seem to be settling down and happening less frequently now after 3 years or so.
    Karen

Thanks

mnjodette:
    I did consider the idea of fibromyalgia but it's never been an issue so I don't see why I'd suddenly maifest symptoms of that. Thank you for the link. I do seem to have some of the trigger spots that are sore but they are only sore if I touch them. That goes for all my new aches ....only hurt if I rub or lean against them etc.

kkelly:
    I'm beginning to think as you do that this is just another part of the whole lupus thing. I really was starting to think I was ok and that this diagnosis was a mistake ....then I went off plaquenil for a week and found out that yes I guess I really do have lupus just like they say. Darn So I guess I'll take the meds and take my naps and adjust my schedule and adapt.

Do you guys thiunk I should email my doc about the tender places (he's wonderful about being available via email) or just live with it for now and see if it goes away? I just really hate to sound like a whiny old woman you know?

Thanks

If you've got a doc who is responsive to emails, I would certainly communicate about your sore spots. You've got nothing to lose. I dont' think it would be 'whiny' at all...just proactive. Sounds like a good idea to me!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Absolutely e-mail him. Especially since you are one of the very few lucky ones to have a doctor who will respond :lol:
    Take advantage of that! And, as Mnjodette has said..there is no such thing as being "whiny" with Lupus!! Everything that we feel is real and there is nothing wrong with wanting to know what it is and why it is happening!
    Do not dismiss Fibromyalgia entirely...many of us developed it AFTER we were diagnosed with Lupus and, yes, it did appear rather suddenly and unexpectedly!! I would, at least, ask my doctor about the possibility in that same e-mail!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie