Thread: The germiest place on Earth???

Thanks

Default The germiest place on Earth???

Hi all! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been reading posts, I just haven't had a lot of energy left to post after working 10 and 11 hour days for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I have an opinion question for all of you. We are going on a four day vacation to Disneyland in two weeks for my birthday. I have been very careful in planning this vacation. I purposely spread it over four days, instead of our usual two days, I chose a hotel directly across from the main gates of the parks so we can come and go as we please and take frequent rest breaks. I am taking plenty of sun block and wearing long sleeves and hats to keep sun exposure to a minimum and we are keeping money aside to rent a wheelchair if necessary. The only thing I am concerned about at this point is exposure to so many people, and so many people from different places.

I bought some surgical/procedure type masks. They are actually made for kids that are going through chemo. They are made by Kimberly Clark and have Disney characters printed on them. My husband and I have debated about me wearing them while in the resorts. On the one hand, I know it would probably be a good idea, but he doesn't know if they will actually work. My 11 year old is saying she'll be embarrassed if I wear them and I have to admit that I probably will be too. I know that shouldn't matter but I don't want to ruin our family vacation.

I am just getting over a cold that I don't even know where I got it from. It laid me out for five days, I couldn't even get out of bed. Another concern I have is that I take my 15 mg of Methotrexate on Friday nights and we will be in Disney on Friday, Sat. Sun and Monday.

I just don't know what to do, what do you guys think? Any other suggestions for taking care of myself on my vacation? Thanks!
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

Hi, Peach - glad to see you posting. I had a lot of concern about infection when I was on high-dose cytoxan and prednisone - especially when I was going to be travelling or around large groups. My doctor told me the best way to avoid infection was to wash your hands frequently and not touch your face, or anything you are going to eat or drink, if you have touched something that might be contaminated (doorknobs, handles, telephones and other hard surfaces), so he recommended carrying hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes or antibacterial wipes to disinfect surfaces. He also warned me to be careful about handling coins and money, because apparently they are good breeding grounds for germs and bacteria. His biggest concern was the possibility of food or waterborne infections, so he gave me a long list of dos and don't, including not to drink fountain drinks anywhere, even a restaurant (because the water source might not be clean), avoid frozen yogurts and soft serve ice cream (again, problem with cleaning of machines), and to avoid salad bars, serve-yourself buffets, etc. where a lot of people are around the food, or places where the food might have been sitting out before serving, like a deli or a street vendor. He also recommends avoiding any type of ground meat dishes (hamburger, spagetti with meatballs, etc.) unless it's a restaurant you know, because of the risk of e-coli. And you definitely want to avoid any petting zoos or live animal exhibits for the same reason, especially turtles and frogs, which carry salmonella.

i know you've got your sunblock - don't forget your lip balm!

As far as the MTX, does it generally make you sick for the whole weekend? Would anti-nausea meds counter the side effects enough for you to enjoy yourself? You might ask your doctor about a one-week holiday from the MTX if you are fairly stable right now.

I hope you are recovered from your cold, and that you have a great time on your vacation. It sounds lile you certainly need one.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips Marycain. I will definitely be taking hand sanitizer. And lip balm goes wherever I go. I don't usually eat at salad bars because they use sulfites and I am horribly allergic. I hadn't thought of the fountain drinks and ice cream though, but that is a good idea. We are going to take our own bottled water and fresh fruits and veggies and snacks. Plus that will save us tons of money. I'll leave the cash handling to my honey so I am not touching the germy coins and stuff.

As far as taking my MTX, as long as I am careful about what I eat (no greasy or fatty foods and small, light meals on Friday, Saturday and Sunday), I can keep the tummy troubles under control. I was more worried about my immune system being at its lowest during those few days. That is why we considered the masks. I am thinking they will be more trouble than they are worth. I just want to have fun.

Thanks again.
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

Sounds like you've got everything well under control. I think if you follow the food safety guidelines and take the hand sanitizer you should be fine without the masks - hope you have a really good time! Maybe you can post some pictures when you get back.

Thanks

Hi Peach224!

I wish that I could have given you some good advice, but Marycain's certainly done a brilliant job, as usual!

Enjoy your holiday and keep well!

Thanks

Peach, have a great time! We have such wonderful memories of our trips to Disneyworld with our kids. They are in their 30s now and still talk about those vacations. I think you've got the precautions under control and should relax and enjoy. We can't let this disease take all the fun out of life, right? Please DO post pix when you get back. We'd love to share. Bon voyage!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I am actually very excited. We've been before, on little short trips, when the kids were younger. But I think this one is going to be so fun, and the kids are at the perfect age now where they can ride everything and really enjoy all the shows and get into it. We haven't really done anything fun as a family in a while. I am looking forward to it. It will be nice to see everyone smiling again.
    - Peach