Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more dairy? For how long

Thanks

Default No more dairy? For how long

It seems that I have developed lactose intolerance. I'm not sure if this is a result of the lupus or meds, or not. But it sucks.
    I used to eat cereal every morning for breakfast, love yogurt, cheese and ice cream. I'm having to completely change my life, it's so frustrating. I can't even eat Nachos or most mexican food anymore, which is my Favorite. I live in Texas, so I've grown up on mexican food. Ugh!
    Have any of you experienced this? I'm trying the OTC lactose meds, but to no avail

Thanks

Hi, Laura - I'm vegan, so I don't eat "real" dairy products although my kids do. Two of them are mildly lactose intolerate, but don't seem to be bothered by most brands of yogurt. For cereal, they use acidophilus milk or the "Silk" brand of soymilk. I cook with rice milk, or nut milk, depending on what I am fixing. And if you check out any large natural foods store, they will have many vegan "dairy" products that don't contain real milk, so lactose isn't a problem. You can find vegan cheeses, butters, yogurts, even "ice cream" (like tofutti). Sorbets and fruit ices are also a good alternative to ice cream. Like learning to like diet drinks, there's an adjustment period, but a lot of the newer products taste very much like the real thing, so you can cook with them, melt the vegan cheese for cheese sauce, etc. If you check on the internet, you should be able to find a lot of recipes for vegan mexican dishes. And if you live in or near any large city, there are probably one or two restaurants with good vegan menus.

If the oct lactose meds don't seem to be helping, the problem may not be lactose (which is a milk sugar), but the milk proteins in the milk. Your doctor can do some tests to find out whether you are reacting to the lactose, or to the milk proteins.

Thanks

You can also try the Lactaid brand of milk. It's lactose free and all we use at my house now that both I and my son are LI. There are some ice creams that are lactose free as well, although we don't like them. Winn Dixie has it's own version of the lactaid milk that is a little cheaper. We've tried those lactaid pills and such and they don't work for us. It does suck but there are ways around it and thankfully they come out with new products often.

Thanks

Thanks for your input. The OTC pills help, I just have to take 3 instead of 2, and it stops me up down there for a few days.
    But I am thinking about trying the lactaid brand of milk. Thats the main thing killing me. I used to eat ceral every morning for breakfast.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am completely lactose intolerant and the pills do not work for me at all, no matter how many I take. However, I have found so many products that are just as good. The Lactaid milk is very good and comes in 2%, fat-free or whole. Also, when you shop, ask where the soy and Tofu products are located. There is a soy cream cheese and sour cream that has excellent tast, Tofu ice cream comes in many flavors and, also, tastes excellent. There is veggie cheese and/or tofu cheese (white and yellow)in almost all flavors. The only product that I've not had luck with finding one that has flavor is butter - I've tried the rice butter and it was UCK! EWW! GROSS!.
    Anyway, once you learn all of the alternatives, you may find that you are not missing out on much. When going out to dinner, I bring along my own non-dairy creamers for coffee, my own cream cheese and sour cream, etc. so that I can enjoy my meals like everyone else!
    I do not think that, once we develop lactose intolerance, that it will go away. I think it becomes a lifelong inability.
    Don't despair...like I said, you will find alternatives for almost any dairy product that you want!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Saysusie

Have you tried the Earth Balance vegan butter - the natural buttery spread is as close as I've been able to come to the real thing - but no hydrogenated oils or transfats, no lactose, no gluten, and you can cook with it, or spread it on toast - it also comes in whipped and stick versions.

Thanks

I don't mind acidopholous milk...sometimes it, too, is helpful in lactose intolerance. wonderring....would nonfat dry milk help? Maybe on cereal? Good luck, love, Kathy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Non-fat dry milk still has Lactaid and does not work for those of us who are Lactose intolerant. Make sure that you read the label carefully. Lactaid may not be listed as an ingredient, but if the product is free of it, it must state that clearly on the label and/or ingredients!

Marycain...I searched my health-food store for the Earthbalance vegan butter and they did not have it (pooh, blah, sigh). Do you know anywhere else that I might be able to find it?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marycain.....nevermind! My husband found it at Trader Joes!! It is very good.spreads much better than the rice butter and melts nicely (the rice butter looked like candle wax when it melted...ew!) Thanx for the info!!!

Saysusie

Thanks

Glad you like it - I just can't face life in the mornings without my toast and "butter" - I think your husband will enjoying cooking with it and I even use the stick version for baking (easier to measure).