Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guessed wrong on my ana test 1:1280

Thanks

Default I guessed wrong on my ana test 1:1280

Hi! Everyone I thought my ANA test came back at 1:12 but It is 1:1280 which I am guessing is alot higher than my previous test result of 1:640. I know the 1:640 was positive. Now I am really positive. What does it mean for it to up so much higher. Does this mean the disease is getting worse? Because I am feeling really good. Just the arthritis is bothering me. Whats up with that?
    Thank you
    Kathleen
    Kathleen Gardo

Thanks

Hi, Kathleen. ANA numbers can be very confusing, because of the way the test is done. An ANA test involves diluting a blood sample repeatedly until no ANA is detectable - the result is reported as a "titer", such as 1:40, etc. But because the amount of fluid used to dilute the sample doubles each time, so do the numbers. This means the numbers go up very quickly - 1:40 - 1:80 - 1:160 - 1:320 - 1:640 - 1:1280 etc. So the difference between 640 and 1280 sounds huge, but it's actually only one dilution, and doesn't necessarily mean the disease is more severe or more active. It is typical for your ANA levels to go up and down throughout the disease and ANA levels don't correlate to the severity of your lupus. So it's good to know your ANA numbers, but don't get too stressed out by the numbers - neither diagnosis nor treatment is based on your ANA levels. Your other blood work, including sed rate, c-reactive protein, and complement levels are a much better indicator of whether the disease is active. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Default Great advise!

Thank you. This was very easy to understand and very helpful. I definitely learned something new. I wish I could find info like this online myself and not bother any one but then I would not have met someone like you. Thank you again
    Kathleen Gardo

Thanks

Kathleen, it's never a bother for anyone to ask questions - that's the great thing about a support group - we can ask all the stuff our doctors don't explain very well.

Thanks

So, silly question...what is a "normal" ANA? I saw my mom's on the nurse's computer it said .58something and I wasn't at all sure what that meant and neither was she.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kokopelli;
    The results of an antinuclear antibody (ANA) test are expressed in titers. A titer is a measure of how much the blood sample can be diluted before the presence of the antibodies can no longer be detected. A titer of 1 to 80 (1:80) means that antibodies could be last detected when 1 part of the blood sample was diluted by 80 parts of another liquid (usually a dilute salt solution). A larger second number indicates that the antibodies are present in greater concentration. Therefore, a titer of 1 to 320 indicates a higher concentration of antibodies in the blood than a titer of 1 to 80. Normal values may vary from lab to lab, but generally, SLE can be present with titers from 1 to 40 and higher.
    I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you Saysusie. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Thanks

Hi!

If your A.N.A. Test is negative, does that mean that the titre is too low to be significant or that it is 0?

Keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It means that it is in the normal range. Normally, ANAs are described as Negative when they are less than or equal to 1:40 dilution.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thanks very much!

Sorry, it must have sounded like a very silly question, but I had to ask!

Keep well!