Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scared of what's going on....

Thanks

Hi Kokopelli!

I'm really glad to hear that your mom is getting better. I'm sorry to hear that you have got Bronchitis though - I am now having it for the third time in a row! :x I know that cracked ribs are really painful, so just make sure that you rest and don't over-strain yourself!

Keep well and let us know how you and your mother are getting on!

Thanks

I just got off the phone with the director of nursing at mom's facility. Like me, they have noticed that when she has to go to the hospital, she never really gets back to where she was before that.

When she first got back, she was sociable and had good spirits. Now, she's sleeping a lot and having problems driving her wheel chair. She said that my mom's medical conditions were...well...progressing. And it's time to have the DNR conversation with her.

As for me, I'm on my second antibiotic and still coughing - rib still hurting...but now my heart hurts. I don't want to have this talk with my mom.

Thanks

I'm sorry - I know this is painful - but it is so important to know what her wishes are before you have to make any decisions. It doesn't get any easier - there's no good way to do it - it's just one of those really painful things that comes with being an adult child to an elderly parent. You and she will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks

I, too, am praying for you and your mom. Keep us up to date, and feel better. Love, Kathy

Thanks

I will be praying for you and your mother too, Kokopelli.

God bless you.

Thanks

Oh dear, I hit something and everything I just typed, disappeared.

Thank you ladies for the thoughts and prayers.

Last night (and every last Thursday of the month) the nursing facility has a family meeing night where family members can share experiences, get information, meet each other and get support. The meeting lasts for about an hour and of course mom was mad because she couldn't come with me.

She drove her chair down to the room where we were meeting and got almost back to her room and lost contorl of her chair. She ran into the nurse's medicine cart which hit the wall and she mashed her hand up pretty good. The nurse cleaned the wounds on her hand but told her they would probably take her chair away from her because of the risk to herself and other residents.

So I come back from the meeting and my mom bleeding and really pissed off about the thought of losing her chair. I've been worried for a while about her slow reaction time when it comes to driving her chair. When it's turned down she does okay and she has plenty of time to react..but being the stubborn lovely mom that she is...she has to turn the speed up. It can go almost 6 mph. Why??? Why do they make them to go that fast?

Anyway, I turned the speed all the way down on her chair and removed the nob so she can't turn it back up - the aids also turn it up and whiz around in it when they plug it in at night, so they probably won't be happy either.

So today, I get to see if I can get the wound care people to look at her hand and keep the nursing supervisor from taking her chair away from her. She can't use a manual chair, she just doesn't have the strength in her arms or legs to be able to move it.

All of that and I haven't talked to her about the DNR options yet. HEH!!!