Thread: Instead of Predisone

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Instead of Predisone

i was wondering if there is any other treatment instead of predisone? i am off of it at this moment but i will be going to the doctor friday because of swelling in my knees, hands and wrist. I refuse to take that. Are there any other alternatives? I am taking a NSAID but the pain and swelling is bad. Also i still work full-time, for now.
    Mrs. Kimberly Turner

Thanks

Have you ever been on plaquenil? It is often prescribed as a first-line treatment for mild lupus (without organ involvement). Although it is generally well-tolerated, it can take up to six months to feel the full effects. There are other medications available, but what might be appropriate for you would depend on your particular symptoms and your medical history.

Thanks

No i have never taken anything but the predisone. Is there a chemo treatment that you know of?
    Mrs. Kimberly Turner

Thanks

I had taken prednisone previously and did not like it, when I started seeing a rheumie for probable lupus, I told her I wouldn't take the pred., and she put me on plaquinil and relafen and then later added the methotrexate.

After 5 mos I am better, but I have not progressed as quickly as I had thought/hoped I would.

Thanks

I think I am going to be the only one to say this... I love Prednisone! I hate the side effects at a high dose (80mgs) but, every time I have been on a high dose, my blood work has gotten significantly better over the course of a month. It keeps my voice in great shape, because it opens up everything, and at a low dose, the side effects are pretty much nil. I plan to stay on low dose pred as long as I can!

I also take plaquenil, and cell cept... But I stopped taking the pred for a little while and everything went helter skelter! Not as bad as it would have if I had stopped the other drugs, but I was dumping 3 grams of protein after a only month of being off pred. Before that, I was dumping NO protein.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

So he did put me on Plaq. with a 5mg boost of Pred. for two months. I am trying whatever makes me feel better. The Pred does make me feel better but the side effects were driving me crazy. Thanks for all of your help and answers. I really appreciate the support.
    Mrs. Kimberly Turner