Thread: Lupus and the Flu

Thanks

Default Lupus and the Flu

Has anyone ever been prescribed Tamflu? Both my kids were diagnosed with the flu yesterday. I just started IV Cytoxan treatments last week and am worried I'm going to be more susceptible to it. I'm also taking 40mg of prednisone so my immune system is pretty suppressed right now. I've heard that Tamiflu is supposed to lessen your chances of catching the flu if you've been exposed but then I've heard people with weakend immune systems aren't supposed to received a flu vaccine. I wasn't sure if this was similar to a vaccine or something complelty different. I put a call in to my Rheumatologist to see if she could call me in something.

Thanks

Tamiflu and Relenza are anti-viral drugs, not vaccines, so they should be okay even if you are immunosuppressed, Unforunately you may already be past the window where the drug will do you any good - young children with flu are often contagious (shedding the flu virus) five to six days before the first flu symptoms appear. So you do need to get hold of your doctor as soon as possible - you need the anti-virals as soon as you start them - and if you can, have someone else care for your children until you do talk to your doctor, to minimize your exposure. Wash your hands with soap and hot water after doing anything with the kids, and if you have any spray lysol, spray it on any hard surfaces they have touched - doorknobs, cabinet handles, etc. You can sterilize other surfaces with a mild solution of bleach and water. If you have a dishwasher, wash their food dishes and glasses in the dishwasher rather than hand-washing, or use paper plates and cups you can throw away. That way if you haven't already been exposed to the virus, you can reduce your chances of getting it. Sorry you are having to go through this - hope your kids are doing okay.

Thanks

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the Tamiflu works! My son first starting running a fever on Saturday... I've been trying to stay away from them as much as possible. My hubby has been home with them for the last two days so maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the info.