Thread: Mouth and Nose Ulcers

Thanks

Default Mouth and Nose Ulcers

Often one of the first signs of a Lupus flare is mouth and/or nose ulcers. These are aphthous ulcers, better known as canker sores. Basically they are sores in the mouth or nose, usually less than 1 cm in diameter, shallow and painful.

They usually begin with a tingling or burning sensation at the site where an ulcer is going to appear. Within a few days they progress to a red spot or bump and then an open ulcer. They are usually a white or yellow oval with an inflamed red border.

There are several things you can do to help prevent mouth and nose ulcers as well as speed healing and reduce pain:

Early treatment greatly reduces the time the sore and pain last
    Reduce disease activity with Lupus treatment
    Reduce stress
    Get plenty of rest
    Practice good oral hygiene
    Do not smoke
    Rinse with salt water
    Pain relieving gels such as Anbesol, Bonjela, Campho-Phenique, Orabase B, Zilactin, or Kanka can be used
    Talk to your doctor or dentist about antiseptic mouthwashes
    Talk to your doctor about steroid lozenges or pastes for the mouth
    Talk to your doctor about steroid pastes or nasal sprays for the nose
    In more severe cases there are specialized drugs that can be prescribed

Thanks

This is news to me The sores I get are in the roof of my mouth, and they are lots of blisters, like when you eat a pizza that's too hot. They are not canker sores.

Thanks

There are other ways the mouth can be involved. This just deals with the one way. Others include: Mucosal discoid lupus erythematosus, Bullous SLE, NON-SPECIFIC MUCOSAL LESIONS IN LE, Oral candidiasis.

Your post prompted me to look further into it and I found this on the LFA website:

Bullous SLE

This is a serious (fortunately, rare) disease in which individuals have antibodies against their own mouth and skin. These autoantibodies react against type VII collagen, a molecule found in the basement membrane zone. The basement membrane zone is an area where the outer layer of the skin (epidermis) and mouth (epithelium) are separated from the inner layer of skin (dermis) and mouth (submucosae).

Skin or mucosal biopsy and the evaluation of tissue-bound and circulating anti-type VII antibodies in the blood are the diagnostic procedures.

Description: Affected individuals generally have skin lesions consisting of grouped blisters, especially on the head and neck. The arms and legs also may be involved. Half of these individuals have extensive superficial erosions affecting the mouth, esophagus, larynx, trachea, genitalia, and eyes.

Treatments: Effective treatment consists of a combination of systemic corticosteroids and immunosuppressive therapy with agents such as azathioprine and/or mycophenolate mofetil. Severe cases or cases affecting the esophagus (food pipe), laryngotrachea (air pipe) mucosa or the eyes will require treatment with cyclophosphamide.

Hope it helps!