Thread: Very Strange Sensations in Throat!

Thanks

Default Very Strange Sensations in Throat!

Hi!

I have been having many problems with my throat since September 2006, when they thought that I had Glandular Fever or Cytomegalovirus, although it actually turns out that I had neither. I was extremely ill and was absent from school for two weeks (one day is practically unheard of for me, never mind two weeks :!; they still don't know what caused the "virus", but my throat swelled up like a balloon and I developed a very odd rash (I have spoken about this rash in previous posts, so will not go into detail here).

Since then, I developed a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and have developed terrible ear problems.

I keep getting these weird sensations, as if someone was sitting on my throat or trying to strangle me! It's terrible, but nothing like a panic attack or anything. I get strep. throats all the time and constantly feel as though there is a gigantic lump in my throat! I am wondering whether my Eustachian Tubes are swollen because that's the area where the pain seems to radiate down (from my ears down my throat)? I know that they have no way of viewing the Eustachian Tubes though. I also often get this burning sensation in the back of my throat, but the worst is the EXCRUCIATING pain that radiates through my throat. It makes me want to SCREAM with pain! :cry: It comes in waves and is UNBEARABLE! :cry: I often get muscle spasms in my neck too and the muscle bulges out of the side! The glands in my neck are always swollen (again, since the "Glandular Fever" episode) and nothing seems to bring them down again! :cry: I am also having terrible problems with swallowing.

My maternal grandfather's siblings all had throat cancer and my maternal grandmother and two of her sisters all had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, developed goitres and had to have their entire thyroid removed (my thyroid works perfectly though, that I know!). My father also has a throat problem where, like me, he permanently has a strep. throat, so there are quite a few throat problems in my family, which is worrying...

I just don't know what to do! I am suffering from this excruciating pain right at this very minute (It's always MUCH worse at night) and I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! :cry:

I am going to have to go and see the E.N.T. again (I am supposed to see him about my ears, anyway); I just pray that he can help me because I have had ENOUGH now! :cry:

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Please, I would really appreciate any advice or information...

Keep well!

Thanks

Have you already had your tonsils out? Because some of what you are describing sounds like acute tonsillitis or possibly an abscess in your tonsils, which can cause really severe pain. Both Acute and chronic tonsillitis can cause sore throat, trouble swallowing, muscle and joint aches, chills, fever, swollen lymph glands and ear aches. So if you still have your tonsils, this might be worth discussing with your ENT.

Thanks

Hi!

No, I haven't had my tonsils removed yet. I actually cannot remember ever having been diagnosed with Tonsillitis, strangely enough?! :?

This is certainly worth discussing with my E.N.T. though!

Thanks SO much for the information!

Keep well!

Thanks

I thought I had a tumor in my throat, because I could feel it go up and down when I swallowed. Come to find out I had GERD. Starting taking a little yellow pill (Aciphex) and within a week or so was A-OK. Strange, though, that I never had hardburn . . . I wish everything was that easy

Also, when the doctor ran the tube up my nose and down my throat, that doesn't hurt a bit! I was really scared about it, but whatever they spray in your nose and throat totally deadens it! Good news, huh?

Thanks

Thanks, Homenow!

My father suffers from G.E.R.D., actually, but somehow, I don't think that that's what's going on here... :?

Keep well!

Thanks

I had very similar symptoms to what your talking about. My throat hurt so badly I had stopped speaking all together and the pain seemed to radiate from my throat to my ears to the rest of my body. Then it got a lot worse and I had a fever for weeks, my throat and tongue swelled and I just felt awful all over.

I am so sorry you are feeling so badly. The throat pain was harder on me mentally than any other pain I have felt with lupus. I got so depressed. Just hang in there, there is a lot that can be done to make you feel better. I remember thinking I had cancer too because it was so painful to speak.

So here's what was going on with me. Apparently I had Sjogrens syndrome which had caused tons of acid reflux over a long time (never had heartburn) which had done a ton of damage to my voicebox and throat in general. On top of that I took such a turn for the worse because I had managed to pick up some virus that had cuased my throat to be filled with blisters. My Doctor put me on Nexium (the most expensive but the best of the acid reducers) and made me this stuff called tri-mixture that I could gargle with that was full of antibiotics and steroids which make your throat feel instantly better as it helps heal it, they can add a pain medicine to the mix too to really knock out the discomfort. I was told to rest 2 weeks for the virus to go away.

When the virus passed I was a good deal better but it took apx. 2 months for the nexium to give my throat time to heal. It also made me feel a lot better to go to the EN&T and see pictures of the inside of my throat and know for sure nothing terribly serious was wrong, to hear that it couldn't be cancer.

So here's my advice, I don't know your throat hurts for the same reason but no matter what it is I think these three things might really help:

1 I got my tonsils out at 19 after having strep 2+ times a year and while I had a case of strep the doc felt wouldn't go away until they were out. If you have strep all the time you should def ask about having them out...7 years and no strep throat for me!

2 Get a look at your throat at the EN&T so you can see for yourself what's going on.

# Get your doc to give you a steroid/antibiotic mouthwash ASAP to help with all that pain and swelling and ask them to add a pain killer to it if they will...you don't swallow it, so it shouldn't interact with any meds and it gives instant relief from pain and swelling.

Hang in there, I know it's just awful. Please let me know what happens...I will be thinking about you.

In the mean time lots of popsicles and soup to soothe that throat...it might sound funny but a baby bottle with sugary juice always helps my throat...makes you look pretty silly though