Thread: ???joint pain???

Thanks

Default ???joint pain???

hi. so far (lucky lucky me) i've been one of the fewest lupies with no joint envolvement. two months now i've been diagnosed with sle, i started taking plaquenil, and now it seems 2 help me a bit with fatigue. But lately somethin else came up....in the morn i feel a bit stiff, my lower back hurt ( back? kidneys?) and i feel a little pain in my knees. They r no swallen, red at all: should i consier it a new sympt of sle since there is no big evidence? Maybe i am just a bit tired...also i noticed that, despite the plaq., lately i feel more often sensation of itching burning hands and feet, especcially at night....what do you say?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, we cannot tell you what may be causing you back pains. Lupus is an immune disease that can attack many internal organs and tissues. The classic parts of the skeleton that can be affected by the inflammation of lupus are the peripheral joints - the joints away from the spine, such as the small joints of the hands and feet, the wrists, knees, elbows, ankles, and shoulders. Lupus commonly causes arthritis in these joints. The spine is generally spared from the inflammation of lupus. However, Lupus can cause neck and back pain because muscles can become inflamed by lupus. Furthermore, the muscle pain syndrome called fibromyalgia that can cause pain in these areas is commonly associated with lupus. Also, cortisone medications that are frequently needed for lupus can weaken the bones of the spine, leading to breakage (fractures) of vertebrae. Also, a rare complication of lupus that involves inflammation of the spinal cord (transverse myelitis) can be associated with back pain. There are many causes of pains in these areas, ranging from organ disease (such as kidney problems and others) to disc herniations. It is not possible for me to know what the exact cause of your particular back pain are. For this, I would suggest that you consult with your doctor.
    The burning and itching skin are not uncommon with Lupus and, like back pain, can be caused by various issues. Lupus rashes can burn and itch, some of us have a condition known as Raynaud's Syndrome with can also cause burning and itching skin. ALso, many of us suffer with Hives, which can also cause burning and itchy skin. It is very difficult to pinpoint what is causing your burning and itchy skin, so here again, it would probably be advisable for you to consult with your doctor.
    Sorry I could not be of more help to you. Let us know what your doctor determines!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie