Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Organic Food

Thanks

Default Re: Organic diet

Buying organic can be the most difficult of all things. Certified organic products tend to be the real deal, but we are often taken by name alone...

But, I have found organic to be extremely beneficial when you have to make a meat choice. I buy organic beef, chicken and also eggs.
    The switch to soy milk seemed to help, but by far the most important dietary adjustment I have made for my lupus...which may be different than yours, is eating "cooling" foods.

I suffer a great deal of heat and inflammation. No citrus has helped also. Coffee is gone too ...sadly...I was a coffee-holic.
    I have cut out tomatoes, and stick with not only cooling but also foods that are dry...as I tend to have edema. Keeping the balance of alkaline and acid helps lupus, especially those of us with joint pain. Buying certifed organic helps all of us...especially those of us who are not certain what toxins are bodies react to with flares.

I hope this helps!
    Joanne

Thanks

Joanne,

You had an excellent point in making sure you are buying from a reputable company or you may be wasting your money but for the most part all organic is better.

For me, I have vasculitis and therefor need "warming" foods. I'm always cold. It's amazing how different things can be for all of us - it's all on an individual basis and talk to your doctor and see a nutritionist or something as well.

I also have to stay away from acidic food because of acid reflux and everything, mouth sores - all that stuff.

Take care and hope everyone finds the best nutrition plan for them.

Thanks

I buy ONLY organic milk and I try my best to buy organic meats. The reason for this is the hormones that they use. Unfortunately, these cant be washed away.

I have found that non-organic milk makes me feel flu-ish and causes my skin to break out. My dermatologist says that it is widely believed that hormones in milk and meat are the reason for a sudden explosion in adult acne cases.

I figure, if the birth control pill sends me into a flare, added hormones of any kind cant be good.
    If you think you are one in a million, there are a hundred people in China just like you.

Thanks

Me, too - I almost exclusively eat hormone-free or organic milk, veggies, and especially meat. I was doing this before I was sick, so I don't know if it helped keep symptoms at bay or if it has made a difference at all. Mainly, I feel better not putting chemicals out there in the world or in my body that were not intented by nature or necessary to my body!

When I can't afford all organic, I get free-range or no-hormone products, like eggs and milk. I think the milk tastes better, but my husband calls me a food snob!

Frazzledfraggle- very interesting what your dermatologist says about acne - I have heard they are thinking earlier onset of puberty in kids may be linked to hormones in foods, especially dairy products. Hmmmm.....

Missy