Thread: Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day - please participate

Thanks

Default Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day - please participate

Just a reminder that Friday, Feb. 2, is National Wear Red Day - to raise awareness of the fact that heart disease is the #1 killer of women in this country. As lupus patients, we are even more vulnerable to heart disease, so we really need to educate ourselves, and our doctors, about heart disease in women. So dig out that red dress, blouse or scarf, or borrow your hubby's red tie and wear it on Friday.

When it comes to heart disease, women are not just smaller versions of men - we really are different. Different symptoms, different treatments - and often the biggest difference of all is how our doctors respond to vague or ambigious symptoms that should suggest the possibility of heart disease if the doctor is really listening to the patient. Very few women have the "classic" symptom of a heart attack, crushing chest pain that radiates down to the left arm. Women who are having a heart attack may not have chest pain at all - they may have nausea or vomiting, unusual fatigue, heavy sweating and shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, or pain in the neck, jaw or shoulder - symptoms that are often shrugged off by doctors as indigestion, muscle strains, or even an anxiety attack. So it's critically important for women to know their personal risk factors for heart disease, and do what they can to lower their risk. It's also important for women to insist their symptoms be taken seriously. Too often, this doesn't happen - which is why women are far more likely to die from a first heart attack than a man of the same age. Heart disease disproportionately affects women of color, so being african-american, hispanic or native american is a risk factor in and of itself. Add in the fact that women with lupus are five to seven times more likely to develop premature heart disease, and you can understand why this should be important to all of us. So please participate, educate yourself and your sisters, daughters, and mothers, and your doctors!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I will wear my red hat (and my purple clothes) and my red ribbon.
    As Always, Marycain, thank you for providing such great information and keeping us educated and informed :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

If I had a red hat, I would certainly wear it, but it is so cold and windy here, I will have to settle for my red sweatshirt dress with a heart pin. But I love the thought of you decked out in purple and red - two of my favorite colors!

Thanks

I'm off tomorrow, so no one will see my red shirt but my kitties. It's going to be terribly cold here, so everyone will be pretty 'red'! (High temps of 5 below zero this weekend; as low as 20 below zero. Brrrrrrr.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I'm sure the kitties will appreciate it. We are having a similar cold snap here - I would be wearing some old fashioned red flannel long johns if I could find them!