Thread: Hair Loss?

Thanks

Default Hair Loss?

I just cleaned my bathroom and was shocked by how much of my hair was on the floor. There is always a little glob of hair on the floor of shower after I'm done. But it was just a week ago that my husband cleaned the floor in the bathroom, and it was just full of hair today (I used one of those Swiffer things, and it was literally covered with hair.) I always thought hair loss from lupus (or the drugs) was really pronounced, like globs of hair coming out in your hand. Can it be more subtle like this? Just a general thinning? I have quite a lot of curly hair, so I might not have noticed it (and my husband usually cleans the floor.) I'm on prednisone, plaquenil, imuran, neurontin and a lot of supplements. Which of those might be the culprit? I know I have a tendency to blame everything on lupus, and this could just be middle age hair thinning I guess. Any thoughts?
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

No... That's how mine comes out, too... I'm only 26... And I KNOW it's Lupus because before I got sick I bearly lost ANY hair... You're supposed to lose like 100 strands a day normally... Which really isn't much... So, yes, you can TOTALLY blame Lupus or meds for that!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Thanks, SoleSinger. I was afraid of that. One more thing to add to the list of lupus fun!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Ohhh yeah the lupus hair loss

That is definately the culprit. I had long thick hair, I loss so much until I had to have my hair shaven. I was so very tired of all the hair in the shower, on the bathroom floor, on the bed. This was before I was diagnosed when my hair was coming out so I know it was not the meds. However, now I am simply on plaquinile and only a little is coming out, or at least it seems since it's very, very short wispy hair I have now. I wear wigs during the day, and just my short hair at night. So my dear husband has a wife and girlfriend. He gets two looks for one :lol: lucky man huh? So, have fun with your hair, and hopefully you will not have to shave it off, either way, have fun.

Another thing I just can't get used to, my head gets cold at night, and I am too ashamed to go to the cancer society and get a nice soft nite cap. So I wear a winter one to bed and simply take it off and put it on all night as it gets cold and then hot. Silly me :roll:

Thanks

Don't feel bad - I still wear a cap at night when it's cold. My hair has grown back in a lot, but it still doesn't cover my ears much and they get cold if my head isn't covered. If it's really cold I wear a hooded sweatshirt to bed. I get the men's hoodies that are nice and long, practically a nightgown length for me, and the hood keeps my ears and head nice and warm. You can also find men's flannel nightcaps in some stores, and they are soft and warm. But believe me, the cancer societies have seen plenty of bald women, so you shouldn't feel self-conscious about going there.

Thanks

I too have been having signifigant hair loss. I have thick naturally wavy/curly hair and have always lost some when shampooing/conditioning but lately it is handfuls. I am not diagnosed yet but have many Lupus symptoms including the hair loss. You still can't tell by looking at my head that I'm losing a lot of hair but I wonder how long this can go on before it's obvious?? My hairdresser asked me the other day if I was losing hair because she could see the poky little regrowth hairs on top. At least it's growing back!!

Thanks

I have the same. Ever thinning. I used to have this thick lustrous red naturally curly hair. Then it got darker and darker and my shower grate was covered by more and more. The individual shafts are actually baby fine now and I have less body. I lose the same globs everyday, but I don't have any bald spots. I clean the grate every morning after I shower. Now that I'm on the plaquenil it is getting back to its natural red and the curl is less frizzy. It was like straw for awhile and now it is soft. Some improvements...
    AB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_librarian
    I have the same. Ever thinning. I used to have this thick lustrous red naturally curly hair. Then it got darker and darker and my shower grate was covered by more and more. The individual shafts are actually baby fine now and I have less body. I lose the same globs everyday, but I don't have any bald spots. I clean the grate every morning after I shower. Now that I'm on the plaquenil it is getting back to its natural red and the curl is less frizzy. It was like straw for awhile and now it is soft. Some improvements...
    I've been on plaquenil for just over a month, I sure hope it helps the thinning I've experienced this year. My hubby is tired of finding "cousin it" (as he calls it) in the shower drain and I'm sick of shedding worse than my cats