Thread: what now, why such a sore shoulder/back why????

Thanks

Default what now, why such a sore shoulder/back why????

I have been on plaquinile since December 12,2006, I have just now notice my memory kicking in a little. My knees are aching but not too bad, but for the past three weeks and more now than ever my upper left back/shoulder is killing me. Just extreeme pain. I will see general practicioner tomorrow, but even sitting here typing is killing me. What the sam heck is this? Does Lupus have anything to do with this?

ouch, ouch, and one more big OUCH

Thanks

Hi

As I haven't been diagnosed with Lupus, I have had many signs pointing me in that direction.

I was up to the hospital this morning to pick up a file dating back to June 2005. I had gone to the hospital because of a rash on my back, and pain. The pain was so extreme I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain had seem to radiate from the back, through my shoulder and out my left chest wall.

They made reference to the rash, and the pain. They had no answers what the rash was about. I am now thinking it was a Discord rash.

A eco cardialgram was done to check my heart. It was all right at the time. I told them I had done nothing to cause the pain. They still put down muscle pain.

Gerri

Thanks

Dear Ouch!
    For me, my main left shoulder/back/chest pain is pericarditis. Inflamation of the lining around the heart. Usually feels a little better if leaning forward.
    I know others that have costochondritis- another type of muscle pain.
    I hope you get some relief.
    Do you have a rheumatologist? It may be a good idea if you have been diagnosed, to see one. My general doc isnt really familiar enough to help me with my Lupus stuff.
    Good luck, feel better!
    Kimb

Thanks

Default Went to Dr. today for pain...

You are right, you really should see your lupus doctor..however, my lupus doctor is in another state and I don't see her again until next month. The reason is, I am attempting to become pregnant eventhough I have been diagnoised with sle lupus. My primary care physician just prescribed pain killers, muscle relaxant and next week chest x-ray and spine x-ray. We both agree that something is definatly wrong, although we don't quite know what. Once I get the results of the x-ray, I will share with my lupus doctor and she will advise me via e-mail until I can see her. Hopefully this will come to an end soon, as I start my ivf treatment in March or April and want everything to be alright.

Thanks for your responses, as I do indeed read them and take them to heart.

Thanks

Hi veryhappy. I was diagnosed with SLE 5 years ago and have just started trying to get pregnant, I'm really excited someone else here is in the same spot! I completely understand that it's stressful not feeling well and being in pain when your thinking about getting pregnant.

It's been hard stopping taking all the medicines that give me a better quality of life so I can get pregnant. My doctor wants me to take plaquenil through out the pregnancy to prevent a serious flare and for the fibromyalgia he said I could take trazadone and rozerem to help me get better sleep, though I want to stop taking them if I do get pregnant.

As for the shoulder and back pain I can't tell you what is causing yours but I can tell you my experience with pain in those areas, I have that to some degree all the time. There have been a few causes for me, pleurisy (which causes pain on deep breathing and pain on whatever part of your body your laying on) then costochondritis an inflamation of the tissue between the ribs (causing sharp pain, pain on movement and pain when the ribcage is pressed on for me). Those are things that happen to me in a flare, when I'm not in a flare fibromyalgia causes me serious pain in my shoulders, back and legs. The pain can vary from muscular aches (like the flu) feeling pinched or cramped to very sharp pain. I can get numbness and tingling and a very cold feeling in certain spots when it gets bad.

As for pregnancy my doctor says that since I don't have any major organ involvment that theres a good chance I could feel better while pregnant, hopefully it will be the same for you. Your body produces tons of antiinflamatories, pain killers and joint lubricators while pregnant. From what I understand on the average 1/3 of lupus patients feel better preg., 1/3 feel worse and 1/3 feel about the same. I think most women with lupus get pregnant sooner or later, the only real increased risk is a slightly higher rate of miscarriage, and a slightly higher chance of getting pre-eclampsia.

Of course it's the day to day struggle with lupus symptoms that really make it more complicated and stressful. Best of luck with the IVF, we are crossing our fingers that the old fashioned way will be enough to get pregnant but we know there's always a chance of needing a little help. I have always been curious if fertility treatments would make lupus worse because most of them involve estrogen which can aggravate lupus. I will be really curious to hear how you do with it.

The best advice I've been given about the whole trying to get pregnant with lupus deal is to relax, don't worry and just try and be excited. Stress and anxiety make all of the symptoms worse so be really good to yourself during this exciting time. Good luck!

Thanks

You mentioned sore knees. When I have trouble with my leg, I of course walk differently (especially if I have to use a walker or a cane.) My doctor explained that when we walk differently, it effects ALL of our muscles. Turned out, I had messed up several muscles in my back, which he gave me electrical therapy for. Just a thought--Love, Kathy
    P.S. Also he mentioned "computer use"...so I bought one of those wierd chairs. It *does* help.