Thread: A question about our Immune Systems.

Thanks

Default A question about our Immune Systems.

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question? We as lupus patients have over active immune systems... correct? Then SHOULD WE be taking supplements to "build-up" our immune systems OR is this a bad idea? I'm always hearing... take this and that from people.. it builds up your immune system. I am very careful about what I take and don't listen to most of them. I'm thinking it's a bad idea since we are usually put on immunosuppressants. If we take methotrexate or drugs like this isn't building up your immune system going against what the drugs are doing? I am very curious if any of you have ever discussed this with your doctor. Or just curious about what you all know. I'm asking my doctor next time I see him. Hope you are all well.
    Thanks.
    :?
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

That's a good question - I'm glad you asked. I'd love to hear what others have to say about that. My rheumy knows I take Omega 3, calcium and a multi-vitamin (with B6 and B12) and an antioxidant supplement. She said it's all OK. I wouldn't take anything else without asking her first - I agree - we have to be very careful about listening to the well-meaning advice of others when it comes to taking this or that supplement.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

There are certain things like echinacea, goldenseal, and zinc that lupus patients definitely need to stay away from - several of us have found out the hard way that they can trigger a nasty lupus flare. So can anything with alfalfa, which is an ingredient in many herbal arthritis remedies. Anything that stimulates the immune system is bad for a lupus patient, since our immune systems are in hyperdrive anyway. There are various alternative remedies like plant sterols that are used to "modulate" or normalize the immune system - these are different from the immune "boosters", and don't cause the same problems. I use some alternative remedies to minimize the side effects of the prescription meds, but they are usually things recommended by my rheumatologist, who is very interested in complementary therapies.