Thread: hysterectomy

Thanks

Default hysterectomy

I've had lupus for 10 years, I am about to undergo a hysterectomy, has anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Default Hi

Are you having a total hyst? I had eimn about 18 mos. ago. It was done via LAP and vaginally. I felt great afterwards, but it took awhile to sort out the hormone stuff.

Good luck.

I do suggest bio-identical hormones if you can get them. In the US only the compounding pharmacies have them.

Thanks

Mine was done in 2001. My best advice for you is to rest, rest, rest. But also walk around as much as you can (so alternate the two). Mine was a total hyst abdominally. Hip bone to hip bone but the scar does fade. Do you mind sharing why you are having it done? I had endo, adhesions, a tumor and lots of cysts. I got to the point I could not function due to the pain all month long, never letting up. I was 26 at the time it was done. My dr told me it may not be a cure all for the pain but I was led to believe the adhesions and endo would be fixed. That is soooo not true. I have had two laps since then to clean everything out again, one of them showed I had a bowel obstruction it was so bad. My point is, make sure they tell you all the facts and not just what they think you want to hear.
    Another thing is, the hormones. Since I was 26 I needed protection for my bones so they put me on Premarin and then Prempro. I cannot take progesterone and had the worst headaches all the time. Finally started taking Estrace which is just estrogen and now only deal with the lupus headaches. A good site for info and support, and for making the ultimate decision on the surgery, alternatives, hormones or not, is www.hystersisters.com The ladies there are very well informed and so supportive. Good luck!!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had a total which was done abdominally. I only wish that I had asked for a tummy-tuck at the same time because it takes quite a few years for the pouch to diminish and it never really goes away. Depending upon your age and how much those things matter to you, you might want to discuss it with your doctor. It was an issue for me because I was so young at the time and I WAS a professional model at the time. Fortunately, I was just doing runway and had given up print work - so I was still able to work! I am older now and don't care about the pouch (excess skin) and now, after a lot of exercise, it has gone down quite a bit anyway!

Saysusie

Thanks

I am having a hysterectomy because my womb is full of fibroids, the largest is 18 cm. The fibroids are interfering with other organs and causing pain. I am having it done abdominally, but they are going to leave my ovaries in place if they can. I've been told that I will not be able to do anything for 6 weeks.

Thanks

Your energy will be gone for 6 weeks. I tried to go back to work PT after 3 weeks and it was VERY hard.

Thanks

What they don't tell you is, you will probably still be tired after the 6 weeks. Your scar may be healed but the tiredness took me forever to get through.
    Saysusie-what exercises do you do to make the pouch go down? Like you, I should have asked for the tummy tuck at the time and didn't. Now I have an awful belly which I HATE!!!! When my weight goes up(with the pred) or down, it goes up and down. IF I could get rid of it I'd probably go down about 3 sizes at least. LOL