Thread: TMJ?

Thanks

Default TMJ?

Does anyone else get TMJ?

I only seem to have it when I'm flaring. Its terrible. I feel like I can't open my mouth and I have to pop my jaw 20 times a day just to be able to talk and eat. Its so annoying!

Thanks

You know, I had TMJ issues a couple of years ago. My dentist gave me a brace to wear at night, because I was clenching my teeth, making it worse. Shortly after I was diagnosed with lupus last spring, I went to my dentist. He said the TMJ could very well be related to the lupus (he'd seen it before.) I've been in flare off and on for nearly 9 months now, but the TMJ hasn't been a problem. Are you on prednisone? I wonder if it helps TMJ?
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi!

Yes, I have problems with T.M.J. Dysfunction Syndrome too! It's SO annoying! My jaw always feels like it's going to break whenever I have to chew my food!

Mine is most likely from an accident, which I had in 2002. I fell on my chin and knocked my front teeth out! :!:

Keep well!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have ongoing issues with TMJ and, like mnjodette, I have to wear a brace at night because I clench my teeth. The pain is sometimes excrutiating and often makes eating very difficult. I have been told that there is an assoication between Lupus and TMJ:
    The temporomandibular joint is susceptible to all the conditions that affect other joints in the body, including ankylosis, arthritis, Lupus,trauma, dislocations, developmental anomalies and neoplasms. Various diseases can cause or aggravate TMJ problems. Immune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and systemic lupus erythematosus can produce inflammation in the TMJ. In addition, viral infections such as mononucleosis, mumps and measles can cause damage to the surfaces of the TMJ, which ultimately can lead to an internal derangement or damage to the articular disc. So, many people with these disorders also suffer with TMJ!
    Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie!

Thanks very much for the great information!

Keep well!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Its good to know it happens to other people too. And I didn't even make the connection of joint involvement.

Thanks

I understand, I used to have terrible TMJ from grinding my teeth in my sleep, I also have sjogrens which made the grinding much more damaging. I would wake up with new chips in my teeth all the time. My jaw was very painful when eating anything harder than pudding, but most annoyig was the terrible tension headaches it caused.

When I quit taking a tricyclic antidepressant and any sleep medication I noticed a real reduction in the symptoms, I think that drug induced sleep caused me to clench and grid worse at night (this goes double for taking pain meds at night). The really great thing for me was a night guard, not the soft rubbery one, which actually causes you to unconciously overwork your jaw in your sleep, but the hard full mouth kind that is totally unappealing to chew on. They are very expensive but honestly within a few months I had saved that much on medicine for headaches that I no longer had everyday, not to mention dental work!

Thanks

Hi Bonnie!

Wow! Thanks so much for the info.!

I also suffer from Bruxism (teeth grinding in one's sleep); we only discovered it when I had to have a Sleep Study E.E.G., as part of my diagnostic tests for Epilepsy.