Thread: plaquenil and....what do you think?

Thanks

Default plaquenil and....what do you think?

i was told i have sle a month ago. I am on plaquenil right now. i hear it's gonna help me with the fatigue but i also have pleurisy, fever, terrible headaches and probabile neuropathy (still waitin' for the mri results). No kidney or joint problems so far: my rheumy told me he's gonna add something to my cure, what do you think he's gonna give me? i am pretty scared of prednis since i already have terrible stomacaches and bones frailty!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Enrico;
    The general treatment for pleurisy usually involves anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or pain medicines, such as aspirin, to remedy the inflammation. Sometimes an excessive amount of fluid builds up in the pleural space between the lung and the chest wall. This is called a pleural effusion and it is usually treated with corticosteroids, NSAIDs and analgesics for pain.
    The treatment for you neuropathy will depend upon the type of neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy generally affects people with auto-immune disorders, like Lupus. Peripheral neuropathy is a term used to describe disorders of your peripheral nervous system. Your peripheral nervous system includes nerves in your face, arms, legs, torso, and some nerves in your skull. In fact, all of your nerves not located in your central nervous system which includes the brain and the spinal cord are peripheral nerves. Neuropathies may affect just one nerve (mononeuropathy) or several nerves (polyneuropathy). Your nerves provide communication between your brain and your muscles, skin, internal organs and blood vessels. When damaged, your nerves can't communicate properly, and that miscommunication causes symptoms such as pain or numbness. Treating the underlying condition may relieve some cases of peripheral neuropathy. In other cases, treatment of peripheral neuropathy may focus on managing pain. Treatment will also be aimed at controlling your immune response: OTC pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), usually help mild symptoms. For more severe symptoms, your doctor may recommend prescription NSAIDs. To reduce inflammation, doctors may aslo prescribe corticosteroids, such as prednisone, prednisolone, etc.
    The lupus headache phenomenon is similar to migraine. They are usually treated like tension headaches or migraines, although corticosteroids are occasionally useful for those Lupus headaches that do not respond to these treatments.
    I hope that I've answered your questions. Please let me know if you need anything further!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie