Thread: lupus pneumonia?

Thanks

Default lupus pneumonia?

hi everyone

had a rheumy appt the other day and he said i have somthing called lupus pneumonia? i really don't know much about this and was actually quite shocked. i am to get an appt with pulmonary dr to see whats going on. any input on this? kinda of scary

Thanks

That's one I've not heard before (and I don't pretend to be an expert), however, my mom does get pneumonia a lot and very easily. Try not to let it scare you and just see what the pulomonary doc has to say about it and please let me/us know. I would be interested to know if perhaps that's what is going on with my mom and no one has caught it. hmmmm...

Thanks

Hi, Beth. Is it possible your doctor said you had "lupus pneumonitis"? Although pneumonia (an infection in the lungs) is pretty common in people with lupus because we have a lower resistance to infection, most doctors don't call it "lupus pneumonia". But there is a related condition called "lupus pneumonitis", which is when lupus causes inflammation of the lung tissue. It can cause coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain and sometimes fever. Lupus pneumonitis can be caused by an infection, or just by the inflammation of the lupus itself, so your doctor will probably need to do more tests to find out whether you have an underlying infection. If there is an infection, you will probably need to take antibiotics. If the cause is inflammation, it is usually treated with a high-dose course of steroids.

Thanks

marycain thank you for the info. after doing some more reading i do believe you are right. How do they know the difference.. he did mention cat scan. making the appt today for pulmonary dr. I feel a little better about it. I will keep you posted. Thanks again