Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory issues/ brain fog/ etc. Questions from a newbie

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Memory issues/ brain fog/ etc. Questions from a newbie

Can you guys tell me about your issues with memory and brain fog to see if that's my problem?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, I guess the best way to describe my "Brain Fog" is to say that I have problems with my thoughts and my memory- things that I should know and remember, for some reason, I just can't! Many times, I have forgotten what I was talking about right in the middle of the conversation! Things happen, like I forgot where I put my keys when I just had them a second ago. I go out to my car, start it up and forgot where I was going to go!!
    In fact, we all participated in a thread here where we, tongue-in-cheekly, describled our various issues with brain fog.
    Many of us are in our 20's - 30's - 40's and even 50's, so these issues just don't seem to fall in the category of early Alzheimer's. Therefore, the syndrome is a very real part of our Lupus. But researchers across the world are finding out that these symptoms are REAL and are just as REAL as the pain ithat you experience with Lupus - so, Welcome to Lupus Brain Fog!

Those posts about our different experiences with Brain Fog can be found in Lauri's Lounge. The thread is titled, "You Know You Have Lupus If..." and was started by Pinkjmf on July 6, 2006.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Brain fog etc

On friday nite we went out for a family meal and I was introducing my son and his girlfriend to my sisters new fella. I introduced my son and couldn't remember his girlfriends name--she just about lives with us. Luckily Russ knows I am brain dead and helped me out but I felt so dreadful LOL ops:
    I am 53 so i am old. :cry:
    Val

Thanks

Oh, I drive my husband batty because I tell him things over and over...and I truly have forgotten I already told him this or that. but then again, maybe it's just habit leftover from my teaching years. You have to repeat things a gazillion times to kids!

Thanks

My Mom has Alzheimers, as did her mother. I'm 56 so when I have 'brain fog' issues, it's really scary for me. I would rather it be the SLE than early onset Alzheimers!!! :?
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I have brain fog as well

Sometimes I am going down the road and don't remember where I am, much less where I'm going. I've learned to just be patient and it will come back to me in a few seconds. Luckily, I haven't been at a point where I had to turn one way or another

I'll say something like "Hand me that . . . " and I can't remember what you call that thing (a hair brush) (a book) (etc.)

I'll say things like "Thank see" instead of "Thank you"

Thanks

Default Arrrgh!

I'm only 27 and I get serious brain fog. Sometimes I just can't understand what people are saying to me. I can hear them fine but they don't make any sense. When it happens I also can't do simple ordering tasks, like alphabitizing papers. I get really confused and also forget what I am doing. Sometimes I forget what I was saying right in the middle of a sentence.

I've noticed that my brain fogs are usually followed by coordination problems. I have muscle weakness and trouble walking and picking up/holding objects in my hands. Does this happen to anyone else?

Doesn't it just seem like you have to laugh at yourself so much? Honestly, if I let muself get too serious I know I'll just cry. I used to work on Capital Hill and now I sometimes don't trust myself to drive alone. A few weeks ago I pulled into an intersection to turn left and totally spaced out. I completely forgot what I was doing and where I was. Before I knew it the light had changed and evryone was honking at me. Rediculious!

Thanks

Cooking sausages - couldn't smell the smoke - fire alarm is sounding - dog is barking - son telling me it's the fire alarm

Tried to shut off the alarm system - didn't know how - tried calling the fire department - didn't know how to dial the phone

5 minutes pass - finally remember the code - call alarm company - told fire department had already been dispatched

It wouldn't had been so bad had this been the first time this happened. The fire marshal is writing me a letter for disability, because this has become a safety issue.

Brain fog can result in serious problems - I won't cook on the stove without someone else present.

Gerri

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I'm a bit behind in my reading...

Luckily, my husband does most of the cooking in my house, so I haven't had that bad of a time.

Like Betty, I also have odd hand/foot coordination issues when I have a foggy day. I often stumble for no apparent reason, and I drop things in my hands. It's like I forgot to hold on or something. The worst is when it affects my job. I used to really depend on my memory, now I have to write everything down. Speaking in front of large groups has become an issue for me, luckily I'm a good faker, so I manage to recover. When the fog is at it's worst, I have a difficult time carrying on a conversation. It's like the words I want to use are just beyond my reach. I can't seem to get them out my mouth. The only thing I have found effective is sleep.. sleep and more sleep.

SonyaLA

Thanks

Default Thanks.

Thanks Sonya, you sound like me. I totally related to your comment that it seems like you forget to grab onto things. I experience that too.

I still cook but I find when I am loosely following a recipe I too easily forget where I am and forget what was added and when. I made a big pot of minstrone soup Friday and ended up tossing it because I got so confused and couldn't figure out what I had done wrong or how I could fix it. I am normally a very good cook.

Oh well. At least I am not alone! Thanks all.