Thread: Headaches

Thanks

Default Headaches

I've been having a lot of headaches lately. I used to get them, but thought that was under control. In the past couple of weeks I've had several pretty severe headaches - one side of my head, generally, or maybe in the back of my head. I'm on plaquenil, prednisone (just 12.5 mg now) imuran, neurontin and supplements (calcium, Omega 3, a good multi and an antioxidant supp.) I've been taking the occasional ibuprofen for the headaches, but I'm worried about what that might do to my stomach when I'm also taking a steroid. Is this a big risk? Tylenol just doesn't seem to do it, and that carries it's own set of risks. I do have pain meds (Lortab) but really hate to take narcotics for a headache. Any suggestions?
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Are the headaches different than the ones you had before? If so, it could mean that your lupus is getting more active, or could be an unrelated problem. You do need to be careful about combining NSAIDs and prednisone, but once in a while shouldn't be a problem. Aleve (naproxen) seems to work better for me for the tension-type headaches. Taking the NSAIDs with food or milk will help protect your stomach. But if the headaches keep recurring, you really need to bring it up with your doctor, especially if you've started any new meds.

Thanks

I see my doctor next week and I'll bring it up. I had started new meds (Evoxac for mouth dryness and nifedipine for Raynauds) but stopped taking both of them, as I couldn't tolerate the dizziness and nauseau. I'm a bit of a wimp about that sort of thing, and my mouth dryness and Raynauds are not severe. But, I have increased my imuran recently (up to 125 mg) so I suppose that could be it. I need to pay more attention to whether or not these headaches are 'different.' Today is the first day without a headache in a while, so maybe whatever it is has passed. We'll see....
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I get a headache any time the barometric pressure changes, and the weird weather we have been having lately is really giving my joints and my sinuses fits. I know we are lucky not to have snow or ice, but this endless rain/sleet/rain is getting old. We've had one clear day in about a month. At this rate the fields will still be underwater when it's time to plant.

Thanks

We're just crying for moisture up here - nothing is going to grow this spring if we don't have some snow soon (about an inch on the ground, and now it's very cold, which really dries things out.) Southern Minnesota, on the other hand, has been measuring snow in feet instead of inches! I haven't been paying attention to the barometric pressure, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with my headaches. I really need to keep a better diary: weather, medication reactions, food, stressors....so many things affect so many other things!

Thanks

It's hard to keep track of everything, I know - but it really does help to write it down - it helps you see patterns you might not have been aware of, and also helps you organize your questions for the doctor.