Thread: What CAN a Lupus patient take?

Thanks

Default What CAN a Lupus patient take?

Hey folks!

I have been hit with my first cold-like thing since being diagnosed with Lupus. Before Lupus, as soon as I felt this coming on I would have run out and consumed every molecule of vitamin C and Echineca in the Metro area and in three days it would be gone!

Now, I have no idea what to do to get rid of this! I have a cold, and a sore throat with these BIG BUMPS on the back of my tongue that HURT!!!!

I have a call in to my dr., but when I will hear from her, no one knows!

Thanks guys!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Any chance you have strep? The vitamin c should be fine, but stay away from echinachea or zinc - they may trigger a lupus flare. Chicken soup really does help colds, and if you add some garlic, it's even better for you. If you have any dried thyme or sage in the house, you can steep a couple of spoonsful in hot water for about 15 minutes, then strain the herb out, and use it as a gargle - really good for sore throats. Sorry you're feeling icky! Are you surviving the onslaught of all the bad weather okay?

Thanks

Hi Solesinger,

Ditto with everything Mary Caine said, with the addition of drinking "vinnies", it's apple cider vinegar and honey....it's great for sore throats. I learned the hard way about echinachea....STAY FAR AWAY, STAY VERY FAR AWAY from it....it's not pretty.

Hope you'll feel better soon, bundle up stay warm, hot soup and you'll be in our prayers.

Take care,

Much love
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Solesinger, NOT to offend, but try making my sick dog soup (posted somewhere in Lauri's Lounge)...When I have a cold, I crush up a clove or two of garlic and add it. It seems to help. Feel better soon! I am worried aout the bad sore throat. Strep can be awful, and for us it's hard to get rid of. Love, Kathy

Thanks

Hi guys! Thanks!! I have been folowing your advice as well as guzzling orange juice and tea!

My fever has been up and down all weekend, of COURSE I couldn't get an appointment even scheduled until Tuesday... Hopefully they will get me in ON tuesday!

I can breathe better now, so that makes my voice sound better, but my throat still hurts... the weird thing is that my mom (who has been my throat looker) says it isn't very red, and isn't very swollen and the bumps on my tongue seem to be going down... Even though it still really hurts... Weird, huh? But my whole tongue also has been hurting and feeling swollen... If my fever hadn't gone down today I was going to go to the ER but, it's almost back to normal so I wasn't going to waste my money. Thankfully, I have tomorrow off, too so I can rest tomorrow!! YAY!

Thanks for all your help and well wishes!!

*HUGS*
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono