Thread: Hello am a new member

Thanks

Default Hello am a new member

Hello everyone my name is Liz i was diagnosed with SLE about 2 years and am still learning and couping with Lupus and the things that come i have had the shingles and i constantly have fever and body pain can someone talk to me about how to deal with body aches and the fevers i would really appreciate the advise.

Thanks

Default Hello, Liz

You didn't mention whether you are on any medicines for your lupus. There are a variety of treatments available that can help you control your lupus, and minimize the flares. Is there a particular time of day when you seem to get the fevers, or is it more of a constant low-grade fever?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many researches are now saying that most of the muscle ache and pain in Lupus is actually caused by a condition known as Fibromyalgia. There are many of us who have both Lupus and Fibromyalgia and their symptoms are quite similar (with relation to fatigue, aches and pains). The symptoms includes tenderness in your muscles and surrounding soft tissue, sleep difficulties, fatigue, and headaches. The most common cause for the muscle pain in the joints is inflammation (aka: arthritis). The pain also can be due to other medical disorders that may be overlap with SLE, such as: fibromyalgia,
    avascular necrosis of bone, bursitis and tendonitis, other types of arthritis or
    infection.
    Inflammation of muscle is also common with SLE patients. This is called myositis, and can cause weakness and loss of strength of the arms and legs. Muscle pain (myalgia) and muscle tenderness are common with myositis, especially during a flare of the disease. Lupus myositis commonly involves the muscles of the neck, pelvic area and thighs, shoulders and upper arms.
    Treatment for Fibromyalgia and Mysositis are similar.
    Myositis - Corticosteroids (prednisone) are the drug of choice in the treatment of lupus myositis to suppress and control the muscle inflammation. When your muscle strength gradually improves, the dose of prednisone will be tapered gradually. If the corticosteroid does not give you good results, your doctor may prescribe an immunosuppressive (like methotrexate or azathioprine).Believe it or not, most doctors suggest a regular exercise program to help regain and maintain normal muscle strength. Non jarring aerobic conditioning is usually suggested (swimming, walking, bike riding etc.) Regular, non strenuous exercise will also help to produce better sleep (which is interrupted due to the pain and the stress caused by the pain).
    There are a lot of suggestions about exercise and pain management on this forum. Perhaps some of these will give you additional ways to help you manage the pain.
    I know what it is like to live with painful, burning muscles and chronic fatigue on a daily basis! I hope that you are able to find some relief with medication and perhaps an exercise program that works for you!!

Best of Luck
    Saysusie