Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another recipe...

Thanks

Default Yet another recipe...

Ok, I started making this in a big Dutch oven before I went to see the doc...new meds are kicking my stomach, so I doubt I'll be able to eat it...wish you all would come and eat

Pot Roast

1 large beef roast ( I like the blade in kind)
    1 can beef broth
    1 beer
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, smashed
    3 large bay leaves
    2 large onions, coarse chopped
    3 large stalks of celery, cut into 3 inch pieces (use the leaves, too)
    3 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
    4-5 potatoes, cut in quarters.
    1 envelope onion-mushroom soup mix
    salt, pepper to taste.

Over high heat, sear both sides of roast in olive oil. (You want a deep, deep brown color)
    add beer and beef broth. Turn to the lowest setting you can.
    Add garlic cloves and bay leaves and leave alone for about 2 hours.
    Add onions, carrots, celery and potatoes on top of roast. Again, leave alone for another 2-3 hours. Make sure heat is LOW. If more liquid is needed (doubtful) just add hot water.
    Add soup mix, "swish around" to mix in, and let it alone for an hour or more...til the veggies are tender.Salt and pepper to taste.

I find that whatever cut of meat I buy (even the cheapest!) the roast comes out so tender it melts in your mouth. (Marycain, you can leave out the potatoes, or sub turnips (yes, they turn out delicious in this.)
    Enjoy! Love, Your COOK

Thanks

Well, as a vegan, pot roast is kind of iffy - I'd have to leave out the roast! Seriously, I do cook meat recipes for the family, and they love pot roast, so I will definitely try your recipe minus the beer - this is a dry county after all. I'd have to go to the next county over to buy beer. Is there something to substitute for the liquid, or just add water? I usually substitute jicama for the potatoes when I make stews for me, but I like turnips too. But since the boys are not big turnip fans, I'll use potatoes. Thanks for the recipe - I have a HUGE cast iron dutch oven that belonged to my grandmother - it's been lovingly cared for and seasoned for over fifty years. So much tastier than cooking in a crockpot, plus you get the health benefits of cast iron cooking.

So you serve this with a particular bread? The kids adore soup and stews served in breadbowls because they get to eat bowl and all. Unfortunately, they inherited my love of bread and will take it over candies and cookies if given a choice. So I always need good bread recipes!

Thanks

Mary, bread bowls are great, but this makes WONDERFUL gravy...I usually serve it with some great 7 grain bread.
    Hmmm...no meat. For protein, you could add beans. I'd add a pinch or two of cumin if you do that. That smoky flavor is great! And the beef broth (will you eat that?) will give it lots of beef flavor.
    I would add water if you don't want to use beer...or you could use that "near beer" stuff...forgot the name.
    Jicama is wonderful! But I am glad you like turnips. They will absorb so much of the beef broth flavoring that your kids may not know the difference.

Thanks

Oh, I'm the only vegan in the family - the boys eat meat - although I use mostly vegan products in cooking, like ricemilk or soymilk and vegan butter, I fix meat meals for the kids, and they have regular yogurt, ice cream, etc., and they love to go to Wendys for burgers. Being a vegan is important to me, but I don't want my kids to think they can't eat things because I don't. If they decide when they are older that they want to be vegetarian or vegan, fine, but I don't want to force it on them. I know people who are so fanatic they won't even let their dogs have meat-based food, let alone their kids. I remind them there's a reason dogs are "carnivores". Fanaticism of any kind makes me uncomfortable - I never want to inflict it on my kids. So, please, feel free to share meat recipes - the boys are guaranteed to love them. And at this age, it's like trying to fill a bottomless pit - they are always hungry!!!

Thanks

Mmmmm. Sounds lovely. I'm a big fan of one-pot cooking. And, like you and your boys Marycain, I'm a bread fiend. It's my downfall - I'd take a wonderful hard roll or a great, hearty bread over candy any day.

How about rutabaga? I LOVE jicama and turnips. But I really LOVE rutabaga and could picture one cut up and cooked with this pot roast. Does rutabaga do much nutritionally?
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Rutabaga is an absolute powerhouse from the nutrition standpoint - a big serving has less than 50 calories, is fiber and calcium rich and loaded with beta carotene and other vitamins and minerals. It's a great beta carotene source for people who don't like carrots. And it does fabulously in soups and stews - although it's nice to eat by itself as a raw crudite. The boys love veggie chips, potatoes, yams, turnips, rutabaga, etc, sliced superthin and "oven-fried" until crispy - taro and jicama are good that way too. But my favorite way to have rutabaga is "smashed" - it's super-easy and even people who don't like rutabaga like it.

4 large rutabagas
    1/4 t. salt
    Water
    1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
    Dash of nutmeg
    Salt and pepper to taste

Peel rutabagas with a vegetable peeler, and cut into chunks. Put them into a 4-quart saucepan, add the salt and about 2" of water to cover. Cover saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.

Turn heat down to medium and cook about 12 - 15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash rutabagas in the saucepan, adding cooking liquid as needed for moisture.

Add olive oil and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg, and garnish with a sprig of fresh sage or rosemary.

Thanks

We are having pumpkin soup today...feel too lousy to write it again, so do a search on pumpkin soup in this forum. It's nice, soft and flavorful and wonderful in the winter. Enjoy all. I hope I can eat it.

Thanks

I'm copying all of these great recipes into Word and starting a little file of them. The smashed rutabagas sounds wonderful. I have trouble getting my husband to eat potatos (he, unlike me, could easily do the Adtkin's diet!) But I bet he'd eat the smashed rutabagas.

Kathy, I'm so sorry you're still felling poorly - still from the methotrexate? Pumpkin soup is soooo good. I made a big pot of it for a fall (or was it last winter...who remembers?) pot luck at work and it was gone in a flash. I hope it proves to be 'comfort food' for you. Sounds like you need the comforting.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Some people don't think "rutabaga" sounds very appetizing, so they use the European term for rutabaga - swedes. But "Smashed Swedes" sounds like a mass casualty, or a drunken party - I think we need to come up with a better name for the recipe.

Thanks

Boy, you couldn't call it Smashed Swedes here! You can't swing a cat without hitting a Scandinavian in Minnesota (swinging a cat...that's a strange expression, isn't it?) People often refer to rutabagas as 'baggies' here. Smashed baggies?