Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Yummy recipe for baked potato soup...not Lupus related

Thanks

so sorry! meant to say add the apples last. sighhhh brain fog again ops:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marycan:
    My husband said he'd be honored to add some of his recipe's. As soon as he writes them down for my, I will post them. But, knowing him, that could take a while :lol:
    I'll keep on him about it!!

Saysusie

Thanks

Default Bean and Veggie Stew

This is a nice vegan recipe you can adjust to your taste - a bit of a change from plain old dried beans. It works best if you use four or five different varieties of dried beans - most heirloom beans work well, but you could also use kidney beans, lentils, flagolet beans or whatever you have. You can also add or take out vegetables depending on your taste.

1 lb beans, assorted, dry
    2 cups vegetable juice (I use low sodium v-8 but substitute your favorite vegetable juice))
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/3 cup apple or pineapple juice
    vegetable stock or water
    1/2 cup celery -- diced
    1/2 cup parsnips -- diced
    1/2 cup carrots -- diced
    1/2 cup mushrooms -- diced
    1 onion -- diced
    1 tsp basil, dried
    1 tsp parsley, dried
    1 bay leaf
    3 clove garlic -- minced
    1 tsp black pepper -- ground
    1 cup rice or pasta -- cooked

Sort and rinse beans, then soak overnight in water.

Drain beans and place in crockpot. Add vegetable juice, wine, soy sauce, and apple or pineapple juice. Cover with vegetable stock or water; the amount added depends on whether you prefer a soup (more liquid) or a stew (less).

Cook at high for 2 hours. Add vegetables, herbs, and spices, and cook for 5-6 hours at low until carrots and parsnips are tender. When tender, add rice or pasta and cook for one additional hour. Serve with your favorite crusty bread or rolls.

Thanks

Love the soup/stew recipe! Wish I had bought the ingredients today - it would've been a great thing to try this cold weekend. But, I'm not goin' out of the house until it warms up! (I could be here a longgg time.)

About the sweet potatoes and apples: I do a similar recipe but I use butternut squash (or any deep orange, sweet squash) instead of sweet potatoes. It's also yummy to top it with some pecans that have been chopped, toasted and coated with butter and sugar. Ummmmmm good.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Making pulled pork with saurkraut tonight...it's sooo good on a cold messy day!

3 boneless pork chops
    2 tbsp olive oil or bacon fat
    1 large jar saurkraut (I like Vlasik's)
    1 tbsp caraway seeds
    1 tbsp sugar
    pepper to taste
    salt to taste ( add at the end...saurkraut has salt in it!)

Brown the pork chops in the oil until completely done. Remove the pork chops and shred with two forks. Add all other ingredients to the pot and cook over medium heat until all ingredients are blended to taste.

This sounds wierd, but we eat this over mashed potatoes! The potatoes cut the sourness of the kraut, and it's to die for. I bet it would be just as good over noodles. Love, Kathy

Thanks

Hey, Kathy, I'm making your potato soup recipe right now! It's so cold today, I've been absolutely craving a creamy soup. I'll make some big biscuits and we'll have a perfect cold day supper. Can't wait!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default mnjodette

Yes, there's nothing like baked potato soup to keep you warm on a cold day! Love, Kathy

Thanks

I lovvvvvved it! Our younger son came out and had a big bowl...it was a big hit! Our other son is coming out for lunch today and I'll warm it up for lunch - he'll go wild for it too. Thanks, Kathy!

Jody

Thanks

Didn't want this thread to "die" so here's a familiar recipe.

Kathy's Special Soup

First, brown 1 lb. of hamburger in a skillet, ordering the dogs out of the kitchen about every 2 minutes. Trip over your smallest dog, sit there for a few minutes to make sure you are ok, put the dogs outside, and scrape the hamburger meat out of the skillet. Discard half of it because it's burnt. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Drain the grease out of the meat in a thin plastic bowl, then hurry up and put the grease and meat back in the skillet because it is so hot it's melting the bowl. Discard the bowl into the trash. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Chop one onion and two ribs of celery, stopping halfway to rinse and wrap your finger tightly with a dishtowel where you cut it while chopping. Pray that it is not so deep you need stitches. Put onion and pepper in the pan to fry in grease. Check your finger and decide it's ok, disinfect with alcohol , jumping up and down until the stinging stops, and put on a bandaid. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Let the dogs in, because the big one is chewing on the doorframe. Scold him, then go back into the kitchen, where your onions and peppers are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Scrape it. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Add one cup of chopped carrots but this time don't cut in such small pieces because you do not want to cut yourself again. Add one tablespoon of flour, stirring until bubbly.
    Add a large can of tomato sauce and a large can of tomatoes. Drain the tomatoes first, then realize that when you drained them, you dumped out half the tomatoes in the sink. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Add 1 tablespoon each of salt, garlic powder and pepper. Clean up the pepper where you sneezed and half of it went all over your counter. Decide it doesn't matter.
    Add one can of beef stock. Bring your heat up to medium so it will all come to a boil.
    Answer your phone, because it's your attorney calling after you've been trying to reach him for two days. Separate the dogs, who have begun to fight, while on the phone. Reassure your attorney that you are yelling at the dogs, not him. Get him the information he needs out of your home office. While doing this, put the little dog outside while keeping the big one inside. Hang up and pick up the papers you dropped before the dog eats them. Rub your eyes, then run to the bathroom because you had pepper on your hands. Rinse your eyes thoroughly with saline. Detemine that your eyes are ok, and decide it doesn't matter.
    Return to the kitchen, where your soup has boiled over and is now all over your stovetop. Take the soup, dump it into the sink, and turn on your disposal unit.
    Call your husband. Tell him to pick up McDonald's on his way home. Cry. Then laugh. Decide it doesn't matter.

Thanks

WOW - sounds familiar -

Only substitute the fighting dogs for fighting kids (over a toy), and substitute tripping over the dog for tripping over the cat who smells the meat cooking and is now stuck to the bottom of my leg in hopes of getting a bite of it (the meat, not my leg)!

:lol: