Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yummy recipe for baked potato soup...not Lupus related

Thanks

We're actually supposed to have 'winter' weather this weekend....I'm going to make the potatoe soup. I can hardly wait! Hey, maybe we should have a recipe forum.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Fine by me...just ask Psalm, I have tons of recipes! yeh, I'm a COOK! 8)

Thanks

littlered is absolutely right, she has many recipes and good ones at that!

I have one that my dad used to make for us when we were growing up. He was born and raised on a farm in Wisconsin. The name is odd but it has proven to be a favorite through out the years.

Hamburger Soup

Note this can be made w/o the meat

1-2 lb hamburger
    1 large onion
    4-5 large potatoes
    1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
    1 sm. can tomato paste
    1 32 oz. can chopped tomatoes
    Tony Chachere's to taste- this is a seasoning that comes from Louisiana (very spicy)
    You can also use salt and pepper. The ingredients add all the flavor.

In preparation peel potatoes and dice them into large pieces, do the same with the onion.
    Cook ground beef until done, set aside.

In large pot add the ingredients except the ground beef. (Adding this too early effects the flavor of the meat).
    Bring all ingredients to a boil, once boiling turn down to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour or until potatoes are done. 5 minutes before the soup is finished add the meat.

I like to serve this with big slices of Italian or French bread. It is a hearty soup and tastes better when reheated.

I make this in a huge pot and send some home with my children for their families. I also add extra potatoes to mine. You can easily adjust this to suit your preferences.
    It is not possible to be worried while fully trusting in God.

Thanks

I'm making the cabbage and potatoes with ham tonight for dinner! Can't wait!
    Missy

Thanks

I love potato soup, so this was definately on my must try list. I decided to make it today since I was home today and my little guy is a bit under the weather with a tender tummy. I knew I did not have much bacon in the house, but I have a bunch of frozen ham left from christmas, so I decided to use that instead. I waited all day to make it, then when I finally went to the kitchen to start, I found I was missing a few other ingredients. Like potatoes, onions, green onions. I did have the tablespoon of flour though, so not all was lost. Fortuenately, we have a little market about 10 minutes away. I did make the soup, and it was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe Littlered. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks

I'm eating the ham/cabbage/potatoes as we speak (or write!).

It is so yummy and so easy. I love the tabasco on it.

Thanks for helping me use up my frozen leftover ham!
    Missy

Thanks

no problem---I feel sorry for ppl who don't like cabbage. It is SO yummy nd SO good for you!
    I make stuffed cabbage rolls all the time...Let me know if you want the recipe.
    Love, Kathy

Thanks

Um, yes, of course I want the recipe!

The ham/cabbage was a hit!
    Missy

Thanks

Ok, how about this? I will TRY to post one recipe a day. Most of them I can just sit and do from memory. Warning--I'm a Rachel Ray kind of cook. I "just eyeball" lots of things...but I'll try to be as accurate as I can be. I am such a foodie. I love to cook and I love to share recipes that are easy and healthy (ok, ok, I'm Paula Deen too because I use a lot of butter, heavy cream and sour cream. You can sub margarine, half and half and fat free sour cream, if you must.)

THIS one does not require the "bad for you stuff." It's very healthy and very low fat.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

1 large head of cabbage
    1 lb ground beef (can be left out if you are a vegan...or use tofu!)
    1 cup of rice (use brown if you like it.)
    1 large onion, chopped finely and divided into halves.
    2-3 bay leaves
    1tbsp salt
    1 tbsp black pepper
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce

Use a large pot, and fill it with about 1 cup of water. Set the cabbage head with the core on the bottom and the leafy part on top. Put a tght lid on the pot. On medium heat, boil for about 10 minutes. (this softens the cabbage so you can work with it, but leaves it a little firm too.) Use large forks to remove from pot. DO NOT Throw away the water!

While cabbage is cooling, mix the ground beef with the uncooked rice and half the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Mix VERY well.

(Here's the tricky part...but you'll get the hang of it.) Pull the cabbage leaves off. Use a knife to cut off the small very tough core piece of the leaf. Now, make a large "meatball" with the meat/rice mixture. Put it in the leafy end of the cabbage leaf, and roll over, tucking in the ends into the meat as you roll, until all meat is covered up by the cabbage. (It will look like a little green "package".) Repeat until all meat mixture is gone.

Now add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining onion and bay leaves to the water in the pot.Add about a tablespoon of salt and pepper, and add more of each if you think it needs it. carefully place all cabbage rolls into the pot. chop remaining cabbage into wedges and add on top. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour. Much of the liquid will disappear because the rice will absorb liquid as it cooks. Don't stir or your rolls will fall apart!

I like to serve this with hard crusty bread to soak; A little Tabasco is great on this also!!
    Fear not...this seems more complicated than it really is. This recipe was handed down from my grandma to my mother, then to me. Enjoy!

Thanks

Yum..more comfort food! I've always wanted to make these. My husband and oldest son have asked for them. Now that I'm 'semi-retired' I'm trying to cook things other than the same old-same old stuff. I've give 'em a try...thanks, Kathy. I'm excited to see what other recipes you come up with. I hope others will be likewise inspired to share!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."