Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yummy recipe for baked potato soup...not Lupus related

Thanks

Default Yummy recipe for baked potato soup...not Lupus related

this is not Lupus related, but it's great comfort food, esp. in the winter--

6 slices of bacon (use turkey bacon if you're not into the real thing, but add a bit of olive oil.)
    2 large onions, diced
    1 tbsp flour
    7 large russet potatoes
    2 cups of milk (for lactose intolerants, use acidopholous milk.)
    1 small container of sour cream (fat free if you're concerned about it.)
    chopped green onions for garnish
    shredded sharp cheddar for garnish
    salt, pepper to taste

Fry the bacon, drain on paper towel, then fry the onions in the bacon fat until translucent.
    Boil the potatoes, skin ON. After fork tender, cut half the potatoes into chunks, and mash the rest.
    Transfer bacon fat and onions into a larger pot (a frying pan would be too small for this soup.) Add the tbsp of flour and stir for about 1 minute. (It should bubble.)
    Add milk on low heat, add potatoes (SKIN ON) and let simmer for 30 minutes. Check frequently to make sure heat is low enough. (milk scalds easily!)Add sour cream and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with green onion and cheese.

This recipe is easy and soothing....even on "icky stomachs"! Bon Appetit

Thanks

Hey Littlered,

THANKS FOR THE RECIPE, yummmy - here in the Pacific Northwest we've had nonstop rain for MONTHS, so hot soup sounds heavenly. I love baked potato soup. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks for sharing.....how are you feeling, my friend? It's 2 in the morning, I think I better go to bed.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Potato soup is my absolute favorite...yum. I'd never make it on the Adtkins diet! I'm printing this recipe and will make it as soon as it gets cold. The weather in Northern Minnesota is just amazing this year (sorry Browneyedgirl....I know you've all been suffereing in the Northwest.) It's been nearly 50 here this past week and we have NO SNOW. So weird. Maybe a little snow today and back down into the 20's this coming week..still above normal for here, though. We're all saving on heating costs, but I live in the country and have a well. I'm worried, worried, worried about our water. We had almost no rain last spring, summer or fall. Lake Superior (and that's a BIG lake...the biggest) is at it's lowest level in many decades. That could affect shipping. Anyway...I'm rambling. ops: Thanks for the recipe, Littlered!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

ummm....duh. I forgot to add that you can crumble the bacon and add it to the soup, or put it on top of the soup for an extra garnish--eat up, everyone!
    I am making my "Hell on the Red" chili for the teachers at school for Monday. Since I've always made it in BIG batches for chili cookoffs, I've never cut the recipe down (superstitious, I am)---

Thanks

Thanks! I love new recipes - I've been needing some inspiration in the kitchen lately.

I think we should share more recipes....it's nice to have things others have already tried.

Does anyone have ideas for what (maybe a soup) I can do with my leftover turkey and ham from the holidays that I have in the freezer? I know I can experiment, but something tried and true would be great!
    Missy

Thanks

Ohhhh cabbage and ham and potatoes...a good old Irish recipe....

Boil the ham in about a cup of water on med heat til it starts falling apart. Then add wedges of cabbage, cook on low til cabbage is tender. Add about three or four potatoes (peeled) cut into halves. When potatoes are tender, serve!

You don't need salt (ham adds plenty) but I like to put tabasco or pepper vinegar on this. This is GREAT with cornbread. (Jiffy brand is the best...but don't y'all DARE tell my mama I said that...she'd say, "boxed cornbread mix, indeed!"

Thanks

Thanks! I wish I had some cabbage and potatoes so I could try it tonight!

My newest favorite cheater cornbread is Bob's Red Mill. I don't know if it's available everywhere, though.
    Missy

Thanks

I love all the Bob's Red Mill products, especially the gluten-free cinnamon bread mix - yummy! They have a website where you can order all their mixes and a lot of other stuff, like flours, rice, and cornmeal in small or bulk quantites - lots of gluten-free baking mixes. It's www.bobsredmill.com

Does anyone know a faster way to get the potassium out of potatoes, so those of us on a kidney diet can enjoy littlered's soup? I love potatoes but they are a no-no on a renal diet unless you soak them overnight, boil, rinse and drain them - by that time I've usually forgotten what I intended to cook with them in the first place.

Thanks

Mary, you could make this without potatoes...still delicious!
    oops...I meant the cabbage and ham...just use a ham BONE if you don't want meat. Is that allowed on a vegan diet?
    Potato soup without potatoes.....hmmmmm. The soup is so worth the skinning/boiling and soaking.

Thanks

Hey Littlered,

I had my best friend over today, and that potato soup was HEAVENLY !!
    So, it's in my recipe book to stay.

Thank you so much for sharing. I like that we don't always have to share stuff pertaining to lupus. Way to go, very nice of you.

Liking my lips and spoon....again saying thank you.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown