Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New here and on pins and needles waiting for a diagnosis

Thanks

It was like that here until a few years ago - the ambulances had to come from the hospital thirty-five miles away, then turn around and go back to the hospital. Then we had a series of bad incidents all in a row - a coal mine explosion, a grain mill accident, a car full of high school kids who played "chicken" with a train and lost - and people got up in arms and started demanding the county do something. After 9/11, the federal government started handing out homeland security grants like candy and our county got one to buy two ambulances, and they use part of the coal severance taxes (the money the coal companies have to pay for using heavy trucks on the road) to maintain them and pay the paramedics. It's still just two ambulances - it won't help much if we have a major disaster like a mine explosion again - but it's definitely better than nothing.

Thanks

Homeland security grants helped out little township buy some needed equipment for our volunteer fire department, and if I remember right I think that's how we got a few extra first responders trained and outfitted. Even at that, the nearest fire truck is still many miles away and the ambulance has to come from town (about 15 miles away.) But the town in Minnesota that I live near has three hospitals - two of them very large - and lots of auxiliary medical service sites and clinics. It's the third largest medical community in Minnesota (that's pretty large, considering that the other two are the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis.) I'm grateful for the good care here.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."